What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

which smartphone to get?

Which smartphone

• iPhone

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • htc dream

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • htc hero

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • moto milestone

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

ragenrok

ya, I checked out rogers, but with telus loyalty orgram im getting a much better offer than rogers. I even called rogers and asked them for any kind of deal and nothing lol.
Im trying to convince the wife to let me get the milestone, just have to get over the $150 price tag after contract lol. I bought her a new lg chocolate today as her contract expired as well. She seems very happy with it, and hell for $0 after contract, free voice mail, caller ID and $250 for $30 a month I cant blame her lol. So im hoping she will give in and let me get it, god I hate budgets :bleh: (atleast untill something comes up and having that money set aside thanks to her budget)

But if I cant how's the hero and iphone? I think those 2 are my next choices lol

I work in a telus dealership (well were mor eof a 2 way and comercial solutions stor,e but we also do telus phones) and I got to hold a moto milestone, my god is it heavy lol, feels extremly well built whihc is awsome for me

kendallcschm

in this case the iphone refurb is the cheapest solution.. and if you jail break it then you can choose any service provider

bojangles

in this case the iphone refurb is the cheapest solution.. and if you UNLOCK it then you can choose any service provider
Fixed. Jailbreaking will not unlock the phone. You have to find an unlock for it too. Most jailbreaks provide you with the unlock now though. Thought I would clarify that.

Fudd Rucker

Ive got a samsung galaxy spica from rogers and I adore it. Aside from gaming and word processing this smartphone has completely replaced my pc for everything. As it stands my desktop is collecting dust from lack of use. Only beef with it is lack of official 2.2 firmware from rogers , so ive had to use UK software for it. The milestone was first on my list, but telus was being an idiot so i said screw them.

rapmaster

Ever considered the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10?

I hear the keyboard is really bad and they don't plan to update Android to 2.1 until Q3.

I got the Palm Pre, man the multitasking is second to none. The keyboard isn't the best and the app store don't offer as much choice as the Android or IPhone but the webOS is just brilliant and the touchstone make charging hassle free. Also, Bell is doing a discount of 15$/month.

ragenrok

I went with a milestone, very nice phone. Rooted it and changed some things (mainly the gps tracker) gps now locks in 3 seconds as opposed to 15-20 seconds with the telus tracker lol. GPS navigate works awsome, overall very happy with the phone, have some light lag in some game sbut next step is overclocking (and underclocking when in idle)

lcdguy

Folding Team
if you are a driver i would seriously look at which phones support true hands free operation. (it's not as many as you would think). Personally i love my Blackberry 9700 but then again i don't pay for it (i love where i work)

Eldonko

Here's your OC guide: How to overclock your Motorola Milestone to 1.2 GHz | MacHackPC

How did you change the GPS tracker?
I went with a milestone, very nice phone. Rooted it and changed some things (mainly the gps tracker) gps now locks in 3 seconds as opposed to 15-20 seconds with the telus tracker lol. GPS navigate works awsome, overall very happy with the phone, have some light lag in some game sbut next step is overclocking (and underclocking when in idle)

ragenrok

Here's your OC guide: How to overclock your Motorola Milestone to 1.2 GHz | MacHackPC

How did you change the GPS tracker?

thx using the milestone overclock app, works well.
I used this thread, mainly this post
GPS Satellite Aquisition/Lock very slow on Milestone - Android Forums
You need to root your phone,a nd have root explorer for it though, just scroll down past this giant quote and read his post. change the tracker server from telus to google, my phone locks on to me in 2-3 seconds with this change, very awsome lol

edit: Ill post the instructions here to
Simply purchase the app "Root Explorer" in the Market (it is about $2.75 USD). Once you are rooted and Root Explorer is installed simply change the following lines in the following files:

The files:

/etc/location.cfg
/data/location/location.cfg

The changes:

In each file above you will fine the following lines:

DL_LCS_SUPL_SECURITY_ON = 1

hslp_address = supl.telusmobility.com:7275
default_hslp_address = supl.telusmobility.com:7275

Change those lines to be:

DL_LCS_SUPL_SECURITY_ON = 0

hslp_address = supl.google.com:7276
default_hslp_address = supl.google.com:7276

You may have to use Root Explorer to change the folders from Read Only (R/O) to Read/Write (R/W) to make the changes, once you are done with each change make sure you set that folder back to the proper permissions (R/O or R/W).

That's it, once you are done, reboot the phone and enjoy a REALLY fast locking aGPS!

Last edited:

Latest posts