What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Which space sim is left?

CMetaphor

Quadfather
So Frontier finally announced their "fleet carriers" for Elite Dangerous and they're a joke. A grind that needs a grind to upkeep and absolutely nothing added to combat, exploration or even flying. So even though I recently got back into it, I won't be playing it a lot (I don't think).

But that made me think: what's left? Is there still no good space sim out there? How can that even be?

Star Citizen still seems more scam than game, so until it's "final"/released and has One price for the Full game, I won't go anywhere near it.

So does anyone have other suggestions? I miss flying, a lot, and it's really an itch that I just can't scratch right now. I want to fly, I like have a Hotas and a yoke and lots of buttons... But without a game to play it's just a waste.

My only real requirements are first person flight and coop gameplay. So all suggestions are welcome.

Lysrin

If it has to be that sim-feel then I think the choices are pretty limited. I think Elite is still the winner. Fleet Carriers are firmly in Elite end game content. Not for the casual player like me that's for sure, and not an addition I was hoping for even really care about. Star Citizen is rounding out pretty well at this point, but I don't think it's a good choice for you, as you said, until at a more formal launch. Right now it is great for flying, exploring plant/moon surfaces, mining, trading, ship combat is not too bad (AI is still weak), FPS combat is good, etc. But you still have to deal with game systems and content changing due to the ongoing development.

There is No Man's Sky which is pretty amazing as a space world environment and has coop play now. But it really doesn't feel like a sim. It is more arcade style. Does do first and third person, but flying with a HOTAS isn't great. I actually bought a controller (gasp!) for that game specifically.

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw I like a lot. Fun old-style space shooter. First person. HOTAS is fine. But it is single player so doesn't check your coop box.

Those are the ones I play. I have read a bit about X4 Foundations. Seems pretty large and complex but I have no personal experience with that one. Single player again though I think.

This video provides a bit of info: ObsidianAnt - Space games to play whilst stuck at home

If you want to try something a little less sim-like and somehow very relaxing, I'd say No Man's Sky is worth a look.

Last edited:

Dwayne

I purchased X4 and the upgrade to Split Vendetta. I played X3 Terran Conflict for a while. It is all sandbox. They do have some quest lines too, from what I remember. You basically do what you want.

In X3 I built up a bit of a fleet, some factories, miners, traders, and just tooled about in a "carrier" with some fighters. As Lysrin points out, it is a single player universe, but I think there is some multiplayer functionality.

I played a bit of Eve Online for a while, but I never ventured too far from civilized space, nor did I join any corporations. It was nice, but the possibility of getting griefed was always in the back of my mind.

I bought No Man's Sky too. Played the updated version, though not lately. It is pretty nice. They do have a story you can follow, which gives you a bit of direction.

Another one I bought was Avorion. I bought in a while back but it is now progressed to full release. I have not played it in a while though, but I would look that one up just to see.

I like using Youtube, there is a lot out there and quite a number of folks help out with play through and reviews.

Lysrin

Space Engineers is mentioned in the ObsidianAnt video I linked. I've never played it. It isn't really a sim so much I don't think as a survival/Minecraft kind of game in space. You do fly what you build, but I don't think I would consider it a space flight sim.

If you wanted to try SC for an option alongside ED, it isn't excessively expensive to buy in with a starter ship. The lowest level starter ship is a little weak, although the reworked Mustang isn't too bad, but a Titan would let you do a lot of the stuff in game with the exception of mining. I'm not saying you should buy. Just saying it is an option if you can deal with current state of the game. Here are the starter packages: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/game-packages

On2wheels

Apparently they added a matchmaking queue for cqc in EliteDang. The stream I watched went nuts when they figured out it was in the beta. If that's up your alley.

My flightsim friends play alot of DCS World on steam, did you check that out?

Latest posts

Twitter