What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Which space sim is left?

Dwayne

Too bad X4 Foundations checks all the boxes, except multi-player. You can drive almost anything in that game from little fighter, to miner, to corvette, destroyer, and other capital style ships. You can jump from cockpit to cockpit of ships you own etc. The problem though is that you have to earn enough credits to buy these ships. You just don't get them. That means doing missions, or mining, or other forms of generating credits until you can buy something to help. The game gives you lots of pathways to gaining those credits though, should you decided to try it.

Mr. Friendly

In real life and in sci Fi, there's always One person steering the ship, no matter the size. Who wouldn't want to fly the enterprise? A Borg cube? A star destroyer? Etc and etc, a million examples.

@Mr. Friendly
The VR space sim *was* Elite Dangerous. -shrug?-
piloting a capital grade ship involved a team. Star Trek simplified it, but it still wasn't controlled with a joystick and rudder pedals ;)

and I'm thinking of a couple space sims that came with Occulus and stuff when they first premiered. Jack, Juke...or something like that was one of them.

also, I don't know what it's status is after a failed Kickstarter campaign, but Starfighter, Inc by Impeller Studios had the idea of providing that, or at least for ships bigger than your standard starfighter.

edit - appears it's being called 'in the black' now, not starfighter, inc.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
piloting a capital grade ship involved a team. Star Trek simplified it, but it still wasn't controlled with a joystick and rudder pedals ;)
Except, you know, when they did Exactly that, more than once, in Trek shows.

And it still always One person at the Helm. Dax, Sulu, Paris, Travis (in that order and no other trek pilots are worth mentioning). That one person still steers the ship, does the barrel rolls, the inverted outside loops, the crazy Ivans, etc.

Real spaceships will be completely AI managed. At space-faring speeds humans are not fast enough. Humans or whatever replaces humans, will be just setting destination and/or trajectory.

Bloodystumps

we will see if they fix the FCs or how much they will fix them in the coming days.
Exigeous is doing a live stream shortly

Entz

My guess is the fix for FC will be arx... Works for EA right 🙈

I do love the funds transfer accidental “feature” that exists because you can set your own prices. will be interesting if they end up messing with that.

i Would prefer they tied into the main economy and just let us park it beside an ring planet because let’s face it ED is a deep core mining sim ☹

CMetaphor

Quadfather
there is always freespace and freespace 2 if your feeling nostalgic, though not sure if it works with throttles or not.
Yeah, I still play FS2 from time to time, but it's 100% a space Fighter sim... And my hands just can't keep up. I spent nearly a year finding and trying every Hotas to get the easiest one to use possible, and I still can't do much more than an hour of dogfighting in fighters using the best one I found (the X52pro FYI).

Pretty effing sad that a game from a decade or more ago is still a valid option for pilots that want to fly in space. I mean, I like flying everything, but extreme sims have always turned me off, I don't have time to spent 20 minutes on the landing strip doing preflight checks to get a wimpy Cessna off the ground in a sim with graphics that are, at best, meh.

I very very much enjoyed battlefield 3/4, when I was able to spend an evening doing something as simple as flying a transport helicopter around a battlefield, let the gunner have tons of fun and I got to practice low altitude flight and terrain avoidance. But those games are gone, BF1 fight is nothing but trolls and I've heard BFV is worse, so I'm sticking to space sims.

There's gotta be someone out there, somewhere, that will make a good quality space sim someday, right? Eh, maybe it's wishful thinking. I think such a game, if it was more involved and action-oriented than ED, would absolutely dominate that market segment. Ed is a grinding sim in space and takes an hour to do Anything, and I'm pretty sick of it.

C'mon game devs. Make a real space sim for once. Please.

lcdguy

Folding Team
yeah i know what your mean, i have logged waaaay to many ly's in elite. I also enjoy the occasional jaunt through fs2.

I recently picked up everspace which is interesting but not really a hotas affair. I think it supports it but is better played with a mouse.

could always look at (shudders) CQC in elite.

But it's been pretty slim pickings for that genre for quite a while.

Freelancer if you get your hands on it was fun.

I guess Gratuitous Space Battles could be fun as well but you're not really piloting them just sort of setting up a scenario and seeing how it plays out.

Latest posts

Twitter