What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

who here bought a smartphone for it's audio?

Mr. Friendly

was at the headphone bar the other day and was speaking to a fellow there who recommends the LG G6, V20 or V30...and the G7 is on the horizon for a late spring launch.

MARSTG

I did for a long time : Galaxy S3/4/5 Note3. Now I have a moto x-play and while being decent, it doesn't matter because I use Bluetooth headphones. I would have gotten the V30 but is not offered by my carrier. Now I use a loaned S7 from my gf.

Lpfan4ever

I just bought a V30 and it's fantastic. Much better for high impedance headphones, and still a nice upgrade for <50ohm stuff. This phone was a downgrade in pretty much all aspects except audio from my OnePlus 5, but it's a pretty nice phone nonetheless.

Mr. Friendly

yeah, hoping there's good news on the G7.

though...I am wary as I've been bitten twice. my G4 was full of gremlins and eventually the screen would go black when I made a call. I couldn't hang up unless I pulled the battery.

it was replaced with a G5, but it's got gremlins as well. the power button on the back stopped working...but my phone act's like it's being pressed all the time, randomly. it was a problem in the beginning and then mysteriously just went away. now it's back and nothing helps...it's quite frustrating to try to use the phone as when I'm typing or browsing, it kicks out to the lock screen or asks if I want to go into airplane mode or power off.

if the G7 turns out to be a contender and I get bitten again, I will never buy an LG phone again I suspect... :blarg:

CMetaphor

Quadfather
V30 has amazing sound, and zero issues thus far. Went from a Nexus 6p to this, and it has definitely been a major upgrade. Going from a semi-noname to LG was a great leap in quality, for me at least.

Nodscene

I went with the V20 (before the V30 was out) specifically for the quad dac plus analogue headphone jack (obviously) plus has a removable battery (the last of it's kind sadly). Aside from the non-existent updates, literally just got Oreo a couple weeks ago (although it really increased performance) which will be the last one for this device. That being said I did buy the US996 version from B+H Photo as got it for half the price that all the carriers were charging. All that being said the quad dacs make all the difference and I'm happy with the phone overall. I've recently looked to see what's being offered in regards to audio quality and the LG V series are still rated the best with the G series up there and supposedly the S9 is pretty decent. If I were to upgrade now I really have no clue which direction I'd take. For now just going to enjoy the significant speed improvement Oreo gave me and I'll worry about this at a later date.

Wish I could help more but it's a bad time for audio and phones but it's getting worse as everyone is ditching the analogue jack so I'm not sure how long I'd wait before getting a new phone.

Best of luck.

Lpfan4ever

Wish I could help more but it's a bad time for audio and phones but it's getting worse as everyone is ditching the analogue jack so I'm not sure how long I'd wait before getting a new phone.
Old thread but yep...sadly. My next phone will be much lower end and I will carry around a high res music player, something like a Fiio X5.

Latest posts

Twitter