What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

who here has a green thumb? what do you grow?

Mr. Friendly

I'm not just talking flower or vegetable gardens, though they count. I'm thinking more niche things like bonzai.

I want to start a couple bonzai and reading the bit I have, there are so many interesting things. they're not really the inside thing most people assume they are. most bonzai are outside or should be as much as they can. indoors, while they may live for years, are in a state of constant decline. there are even a type of bonzai called Bronchi that are chili peppers.

I'm also thinking of having some succulents and air plants. Rupert is very humid, so they might do very well here as they get all their nutrients from air moisture.

Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member
I started building a 'vertical garden' about 6 weeks ago. Currently have 11 strawberry plants and about 20 snap peas. Hope to finish up the LED lighting this weekend. After which I'll be doing about a half dozen or so different types of microgreens.

Also have 2 house plants, although I have no idea what they are.

Shadowmeph

I dont grow much because lack of sun light . but if I did have enough sunlight I would grow all my own food but as of right now I am only starting my Garlic I have tried to grow tomatoes but again not enough sun I get then to green a then the cold comes plant starts to go to sleep :(
my parents and grand parent used to have fairly large gardens they are all of of work loading up the kept plus other things from the ocean near buy then putting rows of it across the gardens in the off season. also remembering never to plant the same vegis two years in a row in the sam spot
bonzias are a pain in the ass they take for ever

Mr. Friendly

indoor stuff is easier now that full spectrum lighting is so easy to access and affordable (LED, not CFFL). heck, even doing it as hydroponics so you don't have to deal with soil and such is really easy to do now! and even better, not all plants like direct sun. they need light, but they thrive with indirect. direct and they burn / wilt.

bonsai should be left outdoors as much as possible, however, to do bonsai properly you have to choose species that can live in your USDA zoning.

Soultribunal

Staff member
I have grown very successfully over the past years Bonsai's indoors, and shaped them to look 'windblown'. Outside time is indeed good for them, but you have to have a very good setup indoors if you want them to survive through the winter.
There are hundred's off books, and articles and good and bad advice out there.
Best people to talk to are those whom grow and sell them TBH. I've been given some seriously good Sage advice that I never would have found in a book.

On to my own? I am sorta obsessed with making my own Tea now so I have a Plethora of things growing ATM , though I have to re-jig the power in my basement one of these days to add more.
I have 2 Rain (snow now I guess? Lol) catches into 55GAL drums so I don't use or have to worry about filtering water / removing Chlorine.
As well, the water travels through a rock/stone substrate for basically natural mineralization of the water that I use (I'll have to look up the bags of rocks to see what kind, but it was on the advice of someone whom does very similar to me).

I grow 2 types of Peppermint, Lavender, Lemon grass. I intend to attempt Fennel and Chamomile next year once I get a better grasp on how to grown them indoors. Not via Hydro. Good Old Soil still here. Just keep the Mint far from the other plants as it spreads like Kudzu.

-ST

Izerous

Folding Team
I tried starting my wife a mixed herb garden, so she would have fresh dill and such to cook with when wanted... A year alter they are all dead no green thumb here. I started everything from seed though, I think come this spring i'm going to buy some pre-started ones and a proper grow light. I have a spot in mind that would work well to rig it all up.

danmitch1

I have a little tent of "girls" growing... Been at it for 4 years... Started with HPS and MH , too hard to manage heat, switched to LED and so far so good. I dont know how well everything will turn out strength wise as the LED are far less intense. Am I aloud to post up a pic ( its of cannabis if you haven't already guessed :) )

Mr. Friendly

I have a little tent of "girls" growing... Been at it for 4 years... Started with HPS and MH , too hard to manage heat, switched to LED and so far so good. I dont know how well everything will turn out strength wise as the LED are far less intense. Am I aloud to post up a pic ( its of cannabis if you haven't already guessed :) )
I'm guessing that means hemp and marijuana?

lowfat

Staff member
What LEDs are you using?

You really can't compare brightness between a full spectrum LED and HID. Human eyes see more of the blue/yellow spectrum. So lights are generally biased to those wavelengths, which produces the highest raw lumens. Obviously HPS not so much, as its actually lacking in blue spectrum. So a full spectrum led, may not look as bright, but it has more usable light for the plants.Blue for growth, and red for flowering absolutely is the old way of thinking. Plants should have full spectrum from beginning to end if possible.