What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

who here has a green thumb? what do you grow?

lowfat

Staff member
Finally got around to automating the lights. Once a day @ 4:30, checks to see if there is going to less than 12 hours of sun that day. If so the lights will run from 7am to 7pm. If there is more than 12 hours, then its from sunrise to sunset. But then it also checks to to see if there is something actually on that shelf or not (toggled by me).

The microgreens are just on from 20:00 to 11:00, but it also checks to see if I have anything growing on that shelf or not.

danmitch1

Finally got around to automating the lights. Once a day @ 4:30, checks to see if there is going to less than 12 hours of sun that day. If so the lights will run from 7am to 7pm. If there is more than 12 hours, then its from sunrise to sunset. But then it also checks to to see if there is something actually on that shelf or not (toggled by me).

The microgreens are just on from 20:00 to 11:00, but it also checks to see if I have anything growing on that shelf or not.

This is next level.. Very nice.
All your missing is some sort of weight sensor on the shelfs, that way it will toggle plant growing or not by its self.

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
Heh.... I'm just wondering if we'll notice when LF's home automation system takes over posting duties..... :whistle:

Mr. Friendly

anyone here know anything about hydroponics? wife has laid out a bazillion lil planters all over the upstairs utility room, so I'm thinking it might be better to set her up with something more efficient and liable to succeed...she put in two grow bulbs in the ceiling fixture.

Mr. Friendly

What do you need to know?
well...inexpensive solutions to make something taht will grow herbs and smaller vegetables. both indoors and outdoors. we have a small back deck that gets no direct sunlight, but it's wasted space otherwise, so if we could tier the garden/

danmitch1

Hydroponics can be pretty expensive depending on what size of garden you want to grow. Its far less forgiving if you dont maintain it everyday, adjusting ph level, ppms, nutes etc.
Soil is out of the question?

FreeKnight

@lowfat you ever try using the Kratky method combined with UV lights? I'm thiking of setting up a little shelf with UVs and 5 gallon pails for tomato and leafy greens indoors. Curious if you had any luck.

I'm just about to start planning out my cedar boxes for the garden and hoping to get some conchord / coronation grapes as well. I'll post pics if I can track some down in Edmonton

lowfat

Staff member
@lowfat you ever try using the Kratky method combined with UV lights? I'm thiking of setting up a little shelf with UVs and 5 gallon pails for tomato and leafy greens indoors. Curious if you had any luck.

I'm just about to start planning out my cedar boxes for the garden and hoping to get some conchord / coronation grapes as well. I'll post pics if I can track some down in Edmonton
I hadn't heard of it before. I am in the process of moving to wick watering everything. I've done w/ 3 trays of micros so far and it's working great. Don't have to worry about flattening the plants from overhead watering. Going to try to use 'Gardening with Leon's method for wicking tubs in 5 gallon pails to grow some jalapenos shortly.

Why uv lamps? Doesn't it damage plants? W/ the exception of marijuana, where it may stimulate trichome production, as its seen as a way to product the plant.