What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

who here has a green thumb? what do you grow?

FreeKnight

I hadn't heard of it before. I am in the process of moving to wick watering everything. I've done w/ 3 trays of micros so far and it's working great. Don't have to worry about flattening the plants from overhead watering. Going to try to use 'Gardening with Leon's method for wicking tubs in 5 gallon pails to grow some jalapenos shortly.

Why uv lamps? Doesn't it damage plants? W/ the exception of marijuana, where it may stimulate trichome production, as its seen as a way to product the plant.
I shouldn't call them UV lights. They're standard jumpstart grow lights IIRC. I just mentally still think they're UV lights due to them being called that as a kid.

lowfat

Staff member
Redid a shelf w/ hanging lights. Obviously very DIY. LEDs are on a mosfet now so are dimmable. Fans are 92mm Zalmans in series so I can run them off a 24V PSU. But they were loud af, so I've put them on a cheap PWM dimmer.

lowfat

Staff member
Not done yet but my DIY af setup for a microgreens / seedlings shelf going in to my kitchen. Each set of lights has been calibrated to 30w of each red and blue. Fans are garbage Swiftech Helix 140mms that I've had forever. Both the fans and the LEDs are controlled by $10 ESP8285 RGBW LED controllers.
MVIMG_20200423_181829 (Normal).jpg
IMG_20200423_181806 (Normal).jpg

IMG_20200423_181743 (Normal).jpg

Last edited:

On2wheels

I've inherited some houseplants from family which includes 9 orchids collected from friends over the years. My oldest orchid is 18 or 19 years old now is doing well. 3 of them are in full bloom right now, and 3 others have healthy flower shoots. I've picked up a lot of tips over the years and now take over full watering duty of them. I'm still learning how to repot with new bark filler and when to use sphagnum.
1587735202419.png
here's all or most of em lined up for watering.

lowfat

Staff member
Kitchen setup is finished. I can control everything in my home automation software. But still need to work on the automation of everything.

3D Printed door closer. :p

lowfat

Staff member
Finished up the software for the automation of these shelves. For each shelf, I have a drop down that I can select if anything is growing, and what colour of LEDs to use. Red, blue, or mixed. Lights will run from 6:30 to 22:30, but @ 18:00, any blue light will turn off in order to keep my sanity. Fans will automatically come on if anything is on the shelf. They'll run @ full speed whenever the lights are on, then drop to a lower speed at night.

lowfat

Staff member
Making a few more ghetto DIY lights. Finished the first one. Replacing the one I had for my two succulents. 50% more theoretical power, much wider, and have some side lighting to throw light to the sides of the plants as well. New fans/mounts too. Using a pair of Noctuas. Both have fine mesh filters. Snake plant was repotted today, so its in a low light area for the day, so its not shown.

Replaced the super ghetto twine w/ paracord and 3d printed some things to allow me to adjust them. Took like 5 designs before one actually worked. :eek:

Whatever this plant is, its starting to flower. :)

gingerbee

for those who are into high power led's the bridgelux Vero Gen 8's are going to be out soon time to play with some. I use gen6/7 all over the house.

ps great micro setup's you have there lowfat