What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

who here has a green thumb? what do you grow?

Prickly007

How much room have you devoted to growing stuff, Soultribunal? It sounds like a fair bit.

For the last few years, I had a few containers on the patio with chives & oregano that came back to life every year. Also did basil several times. I tried tomatoes and a few other things, but the old house was situated the wrong way, i.e. no direct sun, for growing stuff.

New house has massive direct sun on the patio, planing on herbs, tomatoes & jalapeños... I am hoping for red jalapeños, which I haven't had since I left Texas. Might try serranos and poblano as well.

Soultribunal

Staff member
@Prickly007 - Well my basement is unfinished, and my Dad is Semi-Retired and doesn't mind me stealing some of his backyard as well. So...hmm, a bit I guess? Never really mapped it out in terms of square footage.
I have an entire L shaped section in my basement where my Trays sit. Then I converted every little bit of space I could in my back yard and my pop's for all sorts of fun things that I haven't listed here. It takes space, but I build as vertical as I can to minimize impact in the house.
I'll have to get some pictures at some point once I am done re-jigging the setup.

I've had mixed success with Peppers. They really like the Heat, so I've got a grow tent (a good one too) which I am playing around with Hydro Lettuce but I've used to grow peppers. SO long as I keep them nice and Warm they seem to do good. (not used to not having to pollinate flowers).

-ST

lowfat

Staff member
How much room have you devoted to growing stuff, Soultribunal? It sounds like a fair bit.

For the last few years, I had a few containers on the patio with chives & oregano that came back to life every year. Also did basil several times. I tried tomatoes and a few other things, but the old house was situated the wrong way, i.e. no direct sun, for growing stuff.

New house has massive direct sun on the patio, planing on herbs, tomatoes & jalapeños... I am hoping for red jalapeños, which I haven't had since I left Texas. Might try serranos and poblano as well.
If you don't need lights, then it isn't very expensive. Maybe a couple hundred in compost (or premix), sphagnum peat, maybe some perlite, plant potters, tools, and fertilizers. Plus seeds, which if you aren't doing microgreens then it really isn't expensive. I've bought from West Coast Seeds but I've heard that Mumm's is another good place.

EDIT: You should also have some fans.

Last edited:

Supergrover

No one else is growing weed? Shocking..😜
I run 3x900w marshydro full spectrum daisy chained per tent, 2 tent setup( so 6 lights in all for grow ) with a seedling 2x2x4 tent and a 1000w oneo for light.
Running soil still just have not had time to switch everything over to my hydro setup. Everything has to be closed down for the switch so yeah, this spring though I will make the switch.
Fans, feed and supplements are to many to list TBH, do a simple co2 drip in both grow tents.

lowfat

Staff member
No one else is growing weed? Shocking..😜
I thought about it, even tho I quit a few years ago as it started giving me headaches and hay fever. Then this summer I helped a friend harvest a plant and I got hives all over my arms for the first time in 5+ years. So I'll probably stick w/ fruits and vegetables, as I'm not sure I'd want to risk an allergy attack.

Latest posts

Twitter