What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

who here has a green thumb? what do you grow?

Soultribunal

Staff member
@lowfat - Compost costs nothing when you have composters do it for you :) just need to ensure you don't put the wrong things in them to make it a toxic environment. But yeah, it's not too much especially if you slowly slowly add over time. And if you get nature to do as much as possible for you (rain catch ect).

@Prickly007 - Oh no worries there, I have some work to do but I'll take some pics once I am done. I usually spend my winter re-doing things or adding things. And ever since my pops setup his machine shop in his basement he's made me some cool pieces to add.

@danmitch1 - I thought long and hard about it. And came to the conclusion that although I probably could do it without too much issue, it just wasn't for me. I prefer things like teas, and veggies, and herbs. I love herbs. Drying Bay Leaves , Dill, sage, all together makes some of the most amazing smells in the house.

-ST

lowfat

Staff member
@lowfat - Compost costs nothing when you have composters do it for you :) just need to ensure you don't put the wrong things in them to make it a toxic environment. But yeah, it's not too much especially if you slowly slowly add over time. And if you get nature to do as much as possible for you (rain catch ect).
I did start my own compost once I started w/ the garden. Have tons of carbon but need more nitrogen. Once I start growing microgreens, I'll have tons tho.

Rev 3 of the garden lights controller I've been working on. Working w/ mosfets is new to me so I've screwed up royally twice. But I think this time I'll be good. ESP32 dev board, the mosfets are genuine IRL540n's. 1 to drive the strawberry leds, 1 for the peas, and then one far red leds (way overkill, as they are like 3watts each). I have ambient light sensors for each shelf. And the lights will dynamically adjust based on how much light is coming through the window. Also have a heatsink + fan for the mosfets, and that fan gets automatically controlled depending on the mosfet heatsink temp. Hoping to finally get this done over the weekend.
MVIMG_20191206_190621 (Normal).jpg

I have to build another pretty much exactly the same when I'm done. After that I'd like to figure out how to automate a black out curtain to block out the light leaking in from the street lights.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Since you are doing soil (and not hydro) use Clover to fix Nitrogen in the soil. It's a bit of a slow process until the Clover is established but way better than using anything else.
That, or grow some buckwheat for a few weeks and then turn it into the soil. (the clover method is still my fav). Best ones are Dutch White, Crimson, and Micro (for me at least).

Love that controller. We opted for different paths to doing the same thing (though I think yours is more automated and nicer than my setup).

-ST

danmitch1

I run 3x900w marshydro full spectrum daisy chained per tent, 2 tent setup( so 6 lights in all for grow ) with a seedling 2x2x4 tent and a 1000w oneo for light.
Running soil still just have not had time to switch everything over to my hydro setup. Everything has to be closed down for the switch so yeah, this spring though I will make the switch.
Fans, feed and supplements are to many to list TBH, do a simple co2 drip in both grow tents.
Sounds like a sweet setup! So i guess having the veg tent you have a constant harvest going on?
Are you exhausting outside? Filtered?
My 2 girls per year (one sativa one indica) is more than enough for my consumption and more. Im thinking of going hydro too but i need to get a few more runs outa my current gear until i invest in more.
I thought about it, even tho I quit a few years ago as it started giving me headaches and hay fever. Then this summer I helped a friend harvest a plant and I got hives all over my arms for the first time in 5+ years. So I'll probably stick w/ fruits and vegetables, as I'm not sure I'd want to risk an allergy attack.
Yeah some people have allergic reactions, my brother inlaw has his throat close up on him no matter what, , has to stay away from it.

@danmitch1 - I thought long and hard about it. And came to the conclusion that although I probably could do it without too much issue, it just wasn't for me. I prefer things like teas, and veggies, and herbs. I love herbs. Drying Bay Leaves , Dill, sage, all together makes some of the most amazing smells in the house.

-ST
Also considering you could just buy easily now without feeling like a criminal.

Heres my current batch.
Left is a "girl scout cookies" sativa, right is "black domina" indica.
Started from feminized seeds.
Seeds sprouted sept 9th switched to 12-12 light schedule nov 9th.
Ive trained them to keep them short by bending the branches.
I do a 20 20 20 light feed every second watering then alternate with some Tigerbloom.

Lpfan4ever

I've helped my uncle grow @danmitch1, they sure can be finnicky things. He had 2 600W HPS and 6 plants at various stages, but let them grow as wide and tall as they wanted. I want to start a plant or two here but I'm renting and the people upstairs are whiny about any whiff of it.

danmitch1

Just get filters for your exhaust and make sure you have negative pressure. Problem solved!

lowfat

Staff member
Still haven't automated anything. The lights for the strawberries and peas has a power draw of 275w from the wall. 6500k + red. Should have mounted the strips differently so they could be lowered, but hadn't thought of it @ the time.

IMG_20191210_124911 (Normal).jpgIMG_20191210_124927 (Normal).jpg
MVIMG_20191210_124938 (Normal).jpg

danmitch1

Thats really awesome man, have you tasted any of your crops yet?
after my ladies are done im going to start some kale and baby spinach ☺

lowfat

Staff member
Thats really awesome man, have you tasted any of your crops yet?
after my ladies are done im going to start some kale and baby spinach ☺
My strawberries are producing, although not a lot. I get to eat a few each day for the last couple of weeks. They are way out of season so I'm not sure whats up.

But that is it. The peas are the first thing I've planted from seed. I've got seeds and supplies for a whole lot more. Just need to find space for them all.

Twitter