What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

who here has a green thumb? what do you grow?

danmitch1

That is fking awesome man! I especially like the light sensor idea.

What kind of lumens per square foot are you pushing out?

How much did this whole thing set you back if you don't mind telling.

lowfat

Staff member
That is fking awesome man! I especially like the light sensor idea.

What kind of lumens per square foot are you pushing out?

How much did this whole thing set you back if you don't mind telling.
Hard to really know lumens as that isn't something measurable w/o an integrating sphere. And my light sensors aren't exactly calibrated so I'm not sure I'd trust if their lux readings are correct. If the sun is shining the top shelf sees about 25k lux according to the meter.

The PSUs were 'end of life' from work, removed them some plastic enclosures and was surprised to find great Mean Wells. But everything minus the lights could be done for under $100 w/ quality parts. I don't think you could use constant current power supplies w/ something like this.

I should also mention that none of this works w/o Home Assistant and Node-Red that I have running on a Raspberry Pi.

lowfat

Staff member
Ghetto DIY'd some cabinets for the garden. All interior panels were covered in reflective mylar. The controller has been installed, although I haven't setup the light sensors yet. Day off tomorrow, so maybe then? Also filled the garden w/ other stuff. Mostly spinach (which was all presprouted in the fridge over the last couple weeks, but also a small container of thyme microgreens and 2 small containers of sunflower micros.
MVIMG_20200107_165409 (Normal).jpg

MVIMG_20200107_164907 (Normal).jpg

Anyone w/ experience w/ strawberries? Even better indoor growing? All my strawberries are doing pretty bad. All the foliage starts to droop and eventually dry out. I repotted one yesterday and all the roots looked healthy. I know strawberries normally go dormant in the winter, but I can't provide them w/ below zero temps anyways w/o killing them. Not sure if this is the cause or not. :(

Worked on the electronics for the shelf I'll be putting in the kitchen. It will only be a single shelf for peas. Seperating the red and white LED channels so I can control the them individually. Mostly the same electronics as the other, but a cheaper Mean Well LRS-350-24 instead. LED mount is made out of tin flashing :D.
MVIMG_20200107_170345 (Normal).jpg

MVIMG_20200107_170351 (Normal).jpg

danmitch1

That problem with your strawberrys could be a number of things. Temperature control, over watering, air circulation, nutrient deficiency which also could be a ph problem starving the plants from available nutrients.
Im not a strawberry gardener but those would be the areas i would investigate.

lowfat

Staff member
That problem with your strawberrys could be a number of things. Temperature control, over watering, air circulation, nutrient deficiency which also could be a ph problem starving the plants from available nutrients.
Im not a strawberry gardener but those would be the areas i would investigate.
Temp is from 22-25c pretty much constantly. PH is 6.5 to 7. Tried fertilizer but they still are doing bad. 3 plants dead now. :(

Was using LED strips as shelf underglow lighting for the last 1.5ish years but I have recently just moved all the strips to 2 shelfs and will be using them for plants instead. The one on the left is for a pair of largish succulents and you can see the ones on the right are for microgreens. Just started them yesterday tho so no lights. But they are running off a $8 RGB controller w/ 80W of strips each. Overpoweringly bright. Working on a simple fan controller setup for them, just a 120mm Yate Loon per shelf hopefully.
export-2.jpg

danmitch1

Nice office space, love the extra large monitor!
Have you always been growing the same variety of strawberry's from the same batch of seeds?
Unlucky for you, but everywhere I read online seems like strawberry's do great indoors :p

lowfat

Staff member
Nice office space, love the extra large monitor!
Have you always been growing the same variety of strawberry's from the same batch of seeds?
Unlucky for you, but everywhere I read online seems like strawberry's do great indoors :p
I've read various things about indoor strawberries. Most say they won't live near as long if they don't go dormant, which they won't if its too warm. The plants were from my dads garden. He got sick of trying to fight off birds and I them from the garden @ Thanksgiving. They are probably 3 years old. I wanted to take some runners and start new plants, but none of the plants have really produced any runners since I've had them.

If they die I'm not going to grow any more fruit. Pollenating them is so time consuming.