What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

who here has a green thumb? what do you grow?

danmitch1

Wow! I never thought of the pollination aspect.. Thats impressive man. I dont blame you , sounds like alot of work for little gain.

lowfat

Staff member
Ya! Its odd how this plant is at least 7-10 days further along than the others. A couple of the other plants are just starting to form the stems for the flower. And some plants are a solid month behind....
MVIMG_20200118_080601 (Normal).jpg

Anyone have any experience w/ a Trompf Blumat watering system? Doesn't seem all that popular in North America. But I found a lot of people who do do organic cannabis grows in soil often use them. Thinking about ordering one, but they are rather pricey. Haven't found out it its possible for them to drip irrigate w/ the nozzle under the top soil. Not necessary, but it would be nice as it would help avoid complications for some pests, mold.

EDIT: Found out they have 'drip tape' available that can be put underneath the top soil. Sounds almost perfect.

Last edited:

danmitch1

I would need some sort of moisture detector to activate and deactivate that system. You wouldn't want wet soil all the time.
Edit: looks like its got that.. pretty neat .

Maybe you should do hydro?

sswilson

Staff member
Ghetto DIY'd some cabinets for the garden. All interior panels were covered in reflective mylar. The controller has been installed, although I haven't setup the light sensors yet. Day off tomorrow, so maybe then? Also filled the garden w/ other stuff. Mostly spinach (which was all presprouted in the fridge over the last couple weeks, but also a small container of thyme microgreens and 2 small containers of sunflower micros.
View attachment 27829

View attachment 27830

Anyone w/ experience w/ strawberries? Even better indoor growing? All my strawberries are doing pretty bad. All the foliage starts to droop and eventually dry out. I repotted one yesterday and all the roots looked healthy. I know strawberries normally go dormant in the winter, but I can't provide them w/ below zero temps anyways w/o killing them. Not sure if this is the cause or not. :(

Worked on the electronics for the shelf I'll be putting in the kitchen. It will only be a single shelf for peas. Seperating the red and white LED channels so I can control the them individually. Mostly the same electronics as the other, but a cheaper Mean Well LRS-350-24 instead. LED mount is made out of tin flashing :D.
View attachment 27831

View attachment 27832
Soooo.... figured I'd ask in here on the off chance anybody else is wondering..... when you're using multiple led strips are you wiring in series or parallel?

The light I'm printing takes 5 or 6 strips and I'm going to cut them out of an existing roll so I'm not worried about current draw, and being in a roll they obviously come from a series cct so that would work, but I'm inclined to think that parallel would be the way to go (it would allow me to wire up one side instead of daisy chaining them together on both sides.

Thoughts?

lowfat

Staff member
What voltage are the LED strips and what is the voltage of the PSU?

All these LED strips run in parallel. The +/- run across the entire strip. The LEDs you are using are not very long, you'd be lucky if it pulls 5w total. It really don't matter where you are wiring as you won't suffer voltage droop.

If you look @ my pics I solder to the middle of the wires just randomly. It really don't matter. Although I don't suggest the edge as the solder points are half the size.

BUT if you are using 12v strips on a 24V PSU, then you'll need to run them in series as well. Once again it doesn't matter where on the strip you are soldering too. But negative on the first strip needs to go to positive on the 2nd strip.

sswilson

Staff member
What voltage are the LED strips and what is the voltage of the PSU?

All these LED strips run in parallel. The +/- run across the entire strip. The LEDs you are using are not very long, you'd be lucky if it pulls 5w total. It really don't matter where you are wiring as you won't suffer voltage droop.

If you look @ my pics I solder to the middle of the wires just randomly. It really don't matter. Although I don't suggest the edge as the solder points are half the size.

BUT if you are using 12v strips on a 24V PSU, then you'll need to run them in series as well. Once again it doesn't matter where on the strip you are soldering too. But negative on the first strip needs to go to positive on the 2nd strip.
No, the plan is to power them with the same 12V wall wart that I'm powering the led bar on the printer with. So if I'm understanding you correctly... the way these are wired up I only need to select one set of contacts anywhere on the strip and I can then go to any set of contacts on the next strip? Repeat as necessary (going negative to positive from each strip)?

lowfat

Staff member
No, the plan is to power them with the same 12V wall wart that I'm powering the led bar on the printer with. So if I'm understanding you correctly... the way these are wired up I only need to select one set of contacts anywhere on the strip and I can then go to any set of contacts on the next strip? Repeat as necessary (going negative to positive from each strip)?
If the strips are 12V and the PSU is 12V, then + from the PSU goes to + on each cut piece of LED strip. And - from the PSU goes to - on each cut piece on the led strip.

You can do + on the end of a strip to + on the next strip, same w/ -. On something that short it won't matter. But longer strips and you'll see a drop in brightness the further you go down the strip.

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... gonna try to wire them together this afternoon.... why do I get the feeling it's going to be a major PITA???? :)

edit: Nope, not really that big of a PITA, just a bit time consuming. I have to say..... 6 rows of 9 12V bright white leds is a surprisingly bright light stuffed into a 6X3.5" array. :)

Last edited:

Twitter