What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

who here is gonna buy a new 'lite' Pixel?

gingerbee

We don't sign on to any plans they are pretty much a rip-off. my old 3g service works just fine for me don't play games only watch Netflix in the hospital. the wife has 4g and never needs it lol

P.S Huawei, ZTE, Xiaomi and Oneplus are not the off brands there the main group for Chinese folks, brands like Umidigi, Ulefone and LeEco are the off brands

but all that said I don't mind LG just bang for buck not great

We always buy our phones outright I learned A long time ago not to sing any phone contract IMHO:thumb:

On2wheels

It's on my shortlist of AndroidOne based phones with an amoled screen. Someone needs to make a sortable list of phones that lets you pick your specifications and show only those that meet it.

Mr. Friendly

I was hoping to get a 3A via Fido...but to get it at $0, they want me to upgrade my 10GB for $75/m to 10GB for $115/m on a 2 year plan. that's absolutely ludicrous!

I might just have to get my LG G5 repaired (home button died) and give my iPhone to the wife.

upcoast604

pretty much too pricey for my liking, not enough bang for the buck I have also heard of random reboots on the bigger model never really been a fan of Google-branded products. not that there bad really just not for me. I try to never spend more than 500 for a device that pretty much has a 2-year shelf life. all IMHO

FYI I am rocking a Huawei p10 lite and love it cost me just over 300 really like Huawei and Xiaomi models in the last few years for price and performance
I've got the Honor 6x aka Huawei it's an ok cheap older model I bought used but I'm really impressed with my friends $200cdn Xiaomi Note 5 SD636 4000mah battery.

Caldezar

I was hoping to get a 3A via Fido...but to get it at $0, they want me to upgrade my 10GB for $75/m to 10GB for $115/m on a 2 year plan. that's absolutely ludicrous!

Are you actually using 10GB of data? That's insanity to me. I'm on WiFi at home and work, and I really don't use much data on the go. I just don't see the point, outside of maps for Android Auto and some random things.

I am currently with Rogers and pay $40/phone for unlimited nationwide, unlimited picture/video, VM, and 5GB of data. That's more than enough for me, and it's a hard price to beat. If you want the best deals though, you need to get away from the consumer side and switch to the small business team. They are MUCH better to deal with and ultimately offer much better pricing.

As for the Pixel devices... I switched to a Pixel 2 almost 2 years ago and I love it. I see no reason to upgrade any time soon. My wife recently switched off her iPhone 7 to a Pixel 3a and she was instantly converted in to a fan. I have nothing but great things to say about the last 2 generations of Pixel devices. HOWEVER, if you want to compare it to another cash purchase android phone that is budget friendly, check out options from One+. *EDIT* Looks like One+ has jumped up in to the more expensive options. Too bad...

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
As for the Pixel devices... I switched to a Pixel 2 almost 2 years ago and I love it. I see no reason to upgrade any time soon. My wife recently switched off her iPhone 7 to a Pixel 3a and she was instantly converted in to a fan. I have nothing but great things to say about the last 2 generations of Pixel devices. HOWEVER, if you want to compare it to another cash purchase android phone that is budget friendly, check out options from One+. *EDIT* Looks like One+ has jumped up in to the more expensive options. Too bad...
Yeah, if you want a reliable, iPhone like experience, Pixel is the only way to go on the Android side. My brother has had the OnePlus 3 and 6 now, and still has random issues that I never experience. As silly as it may sound, I believe carriers here actually certify and test Pixel devices, OnePlus doesn't do any of that. They just hope the bands and software will work here. And as you mentioned, they really don't have any price advantage.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Yeah, if you want a reliable, iPhone like experience, Pixel is the only way to go on the Android side. My brother has had the OnePlus 3 and 6 now, and still has random issues that I never experience. As silly as it may sound, I believe carriers here actually certify and test Pixel devices, OnePlus doesn't do any of that. They just hope the bands and software will work here. And as you mentioned, they really don't have any price advantage.
Swiftronics has the Oneplus 6T 8GB-128GB for $650. I think that's still a good price: https://swiftronics.ca/collections/smartphones/products/oneplus-6t-6gb-128gb-6-4-inch-dual-sim-factory-unlocked