What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

who here uses a password manager?

Lysrin

Yup, long time KeePass user here on desktop and mobile.

Why did you choose to use (one?):

1. Keeping track of separate and unique passwords across the Internet and multiple devices was just getting too cumbersome.

Why did you pick it over the others:

1. Easy generation of unique passwords making it easy to have different and complex passwords wherever I need them.

2. Free and open source. No recurring fee and no account required.

3. Not too connected. By that I mean KeePass implementations I use don't automatically link into browsers and insert usernames and passwords for you, and as I said don't require me to make an account. I admit that the extra automation might be helpful but I still like to keep my passwords a bit separate from everything else.

4. Works well on mobile and desktop with little configuration or fuss. I know some of the newer ones do now too, but this one has served me well.

5. Easy isolation of the encrypted information file. This allows me to easily move or backup the passwords and information.

6. Organizational options that fit my needs (folders, grouping, search, etc.).

Entz

I use LastPass currently. I believe the benefits of properly unique passwords per site without having to actually remember 100s of them is well known. If not I suggest following Troy Hunt and registering on HaveIBeenPwned and that should be enough to scare the crap out of most.

Mainly chose it because it was centralized which made it easier to sync across all devices without needing another service to store it (i.e. Dropbox) or a bunch of plugins written by other people. Great device integration (iOS + Browser) and it is free. I do download a copy to an offline secure store from time to time though as you never know.

Lysrin

I use LastPass currently. I believe the benefits of properly unique passwords per site without having to actually remember 100s of them is well known. If not I suggest following Troy Hunt and registering on HaveIBeenPwned and that should be enough to scare the crap out of most.

Mainly chose it because it was centralized which made it easier to sync across all devices without needing another service to store it (i.e. Dropbox) or a bunch of plugins written by other people. Great device integration (iOS + Browser) and it is free. I do download a copy to an offline secure store from time to time though as you never know.

This is absolutely true! :biggrin: Been following Troy Hunt for a long while. Good info and a good service imo.

JD

Staff member
LastPass Premium user here, doesn't cost THAT much for some added piece of mind. Use Google Authenticator with it, though I recently got a YubiKey for work that I might register too, haven't decided.

Whatever password manager you use, I'd strongly recommend something with MFA support.

FreeKnight

I'm using LastPass and found it pretty good. Available on pretty much every browser and phone, auto-updates as you change passwords etc.

ipaine

I have been using Dashlane premium myself.

Chose it mainly cause I got a really good deal at first and it allows me to sync across multiple browsers, machines, phones, etc. I like the password generator on it since I can customize it very easily if you run into a site that won't let you use symbols or something like that. Also it can go out to some sites and change your password for you to help deal with bad passwords, duplicate passwords, etc. It also notifies you if there has been a breach somewhere that you have an account.

You can also store notes, receipts, emails, phone numbers, credit card info, addresses, and all that stuff. It also has Dark Web monitoring, basically they keep an eye on the dark web for your email, ideally alerting you to breaches early. And it also has a VPN now (premium only) but I have not tried it.

Now while I have basically all my passwords there, I don't keep my banking passwords there. Those I just have to remember.

The Great Gazoo

I've been using Roboform for about 15 years. I have used it to generate random passwords for all my sites. I have no clue what any of my passwords are, except for the one I have with Shaw.

Edit - 227 passwords altogether.