What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

who here uses cast iron to cook?

crazyea

I used one for the longest time. And loved it. But there is something to be said for the ease of a non stick. lol.

The lodges come pre-seasoned but its a good idea to do a coat yourself. Dont use oil as it can go rancid, instead use crisco shortening.

Just wash with water (no soap) to keep it in good condition. Dry it on a warm element right away. Wipe with with shortening and then put it away.

Cook on LOW-med heat in cast iron. Dont be in a hurry and crank the temp up to get it warm fast, but let it heat up gradually.

MacJunky

When I had more time I used only cast iron. My fav was a 12" and at it's best camping or atop a wood stove as gas and electric ranges just do not have the coverage for it. :(

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I dont trust non-stick anymore after the EPA issued its warnings back in 2015. Sandblast that shit off, and get Cast Iron.

We use all cast iron in our house. Skillets, grills, and even an asian style wok. I wouldnt go back, ever.

mGz

I bought a Le creuset dutch oven and braiser for my mother who loves cooking. It's expensive but it's the only way imo. Their lifetime warranty is amazing as well.

Stainless steel isn't too bad either. No respectable chef, sous chef or cook will ever use teflon pans/pots.

Get yourself a pressure cooker, a dutch oven and a decent skillet. That's all you really need.

Shadowmeph

I used to use an old one that was really heavy worked great loved it cooked everything evenly held the heat especially for Pancakes I moved and lost it bought a new one but it was allot lighter and well wasn't near as good so not I use the non stick ones cannot seem to find a real cast iron pan anywhere even in second had stores ,

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I've had the pan for about 20 years...it's well seasoned and does not have a sticking issue unless you cook with too high a temperature. that said, even the sticking issue is not really a problem as whatever does get stuck, peels or flakes off instantly.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
hey Shadow, yeah, not all cast iron is the same quality.

check out Lodge Cast Iron (out of the US, not the guys in the LML, their fencing and stuff) and you'll see a lot of nifty options.

something I found interesting is how tiny a difference there is between cast iron and carbon steel. it's mere single percentage points of a few materials.

enaberif

Owner of a lodge flat iron for sandwiches, 10" pan, 12" pan and a dutch oven. Between those and 1 normal frying pan and the. Instant Pot nothing else really gets used.

G

Yup have 2 we use regular , they are from the '20s and are damn nice fryers. I also just got another from the mom in law this xmas. Have not gotten around to season it, should maybe do that today....

Everything else is prograde ss with copper core, bought them 20+ years ago still no issues, best grand I spent in my twenty's.

Latest posts