What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Who is using linux?

Shadowmeph

that is a question I am curious about, I don't really care for the MS OS's and would like a change but my first attempt at that met with a few problems like having the ability to use all mouse buttons, just little things like that which added up to me switching back to MS 2003 server( which is the only OS's that MS has that I like). I would like to retry linux again but I am not sure if I will run into the same problems.
Since I am slowly but surely building a new Computer and don't have any real Experience overclocking would this be a huge problem with the Linux os?

qwerty

that is a question I am curious about, I don't really care for the MS OS's and would like a change but my first attempt at that met with a few problems like having the ability to use all mouse buttons, just little things like that which added up to me switching back to MS 2003 server( which is the only OS's that MS has that I like). I would like to retry linux again but I am not sure if I will run into the same problems.
Since I am slowly but surely building a new Computer and don't have any real Experience overclocking would this be a huge problem with the Linux os?

If you like to tinker with your OS and customize it and work and tinker on it nothing can beat good ol' Slack.

If you want more of an out of the box experience Ubuntu which is derived from Debian is a good choice and the most popular right now, they will even fully ship you a free CD with the latest on it.

I have read good things about SuSE as well but I haven't used it in ages, so I cannot comment to much on that except that it too is very popular and a snap to use as well.

EDIT - keep in mind that as many people who post in this thread you will just as many opinions so I would suggest you to take the opinions and research each of them then make a list of the ones that suit your needs the most and choose from that. What is best for someone may be the absolute worst for you. That's how I go about suggestions anyways.

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
I'm pissed at Ubuntu. the update manager keeps installing stuff that breaks the damn OS.

Happened with 7.04. I was enjoying it immensely then one day poof boots with an xserver crash after some updates were installed.

Did it to me again with 7.10 Now the CD wont even boot for me. gets to the 'running local scripts...' and hangs.

The environment is great, far from stable has been my experience.

But, Everex has made their own distro called GOS (Google OS) that they install on the $199 Walmart PC's. I am hearing good things about it and will give it another go.

enaberif

I'm using linux and as I always say..

1) Ubuntu = noob
2) Debian = Novice
3) Slackware = Intermediate
4) Gentoo = Guru

I run Gentoo.

Jmac

I haven't used Linux much since I mostly use my PC for gaming, but I've dabbled w/ a few Linux distros w/ mixed results. There was always one or two things that wouldn't work in each distro and it just left a bad taste in my mouth.

enaberif

I haven't used Linux much since I mostly use my PC for gaming, but I've dabbled w/ a few Linux distros w/ mixed results. There was always one or two things that wouldn't work in each distro and it just left a bad taste in my mouth.

You can't even compare linux from 10 yrs ago to linux 2 yrs ago. So much has changed in the backed and frontend that its just not the same anymore.

qwerty

enaberif, people used to say the same thing about Red Hat and Mandrake back when they first came out.

These distros including Ubuntu are not my cup of tea but they are for a lot of people. They are popular because they are easy to use for the average windows user who wants to point and click. There is nothing wrong with this and your elitest attitude makes me sick. I don't know why I respond to your troll posts in the first place.

Distro's with a more automated interface should be applauded not scorned. As the more Linux users their are the better it is for everyone. Saying that one distro is 'noob' is purely argumentative as was my last sentence of the second paragraph to illustrate my point.

Anyone with an attitude such as yours...heh, I find it hard to believe you can intelligently run a hamster wheel never mind a Linux box. I would be interested in what your results are based on or are they just regurgitated from some other forum which is what I expect. Have you used each of these or again just going on someone else's work?

How old are you enaberif? 10 years old? Your have to be 13 years of age to post here on these forums. Do your parents know what you are doing online? Perhaps the anointed one will grace us with his presence again.

I'm done with this.

Moderators, I understand that this post is a bit strong in its tone. If you deem it too strong, please don't close thread,just delete or edit this post as you see fit. I am sure that if I am having doubts then I most like shouldn't have posted it in the first place and aI am willing to risk it.

Thanks.

qwerty

This is a common problem that I have heard a lot and I think that the problem some of the time is that people expect Linux or similar to work as easily and idiot-proof as windows does. This isn't always the case. Often it depends on what your goals are and the type of user you'd like to be...your personal computing style so to speak.

I'm not trying to sway you at all just trying to illustrate that their are so many flavours out there to try. If you're interested in Linux you shouldn't let a couple bad experiences get you down. You just haen't found the one that fits 'your style' yet.

About the only thing that the enlightened one was correct about was the fact that Linux has changed some in the last 10 years...I'm sure he read this someplace else as he was only 3 years old when this were to be true...maybe he had a baby Linux Box in his playpen.

Anyways don't go into it expecting perfection or it to run exactly like windows. Rememebr it is free after all but that doesn't at all mean that it cannot or does not perform...on the contrary...

Jmac

You can't even compare linux from 10 yrs ago to linux 2 yrs ago. So much has changed in the backed and frontend that its just not the same anymore.
This is in the last year ...

I had used Linux in the past at school (Red Hat), but I never bothered installing it on any of my computers until recently.