What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Who upgraded to OSX 10.7

RedArmada

Installed Lion today. First off fullscreen is poorly done IMO. It kills productivity for me. I don't want it take another 1-2 seconds to bring the dock in to view. It should fullscreen but still have the dock viewable.

I quite like the full scene apps. I either use the pinch gesture on the trackpad to bring up launcher or tap the mission control button to bring up the dock. Furthermore swiping through full screen apps is quick and efficient. I really like using the full screen apps, most likely because I'm using a 13" MBP, If I were using a 27" iMac I might not use them as often.

lowfat

Staff member
Launchpad was definitely not designed for a desktop w/ a large screen. Having it stretched across the entire screen causes eye strain from having to loop back and forth.

I don't use a trackpad on my machine so moving between full screen apps requires me to pull my hand mouse to the key board. Again I am all about the few seconds saved for productivity.

Mission Control is sorta cool. But I won't use it since I use Spaces. Besides that and Mail (which I am not sure if it is an improvement at all) I don't see a single thing different from Snow Leopard.

Wait I lied. Having applications startup automatically at login is effed up. There is a huge delay to launch some of the applications.

lowfat

Staff member
Lion honestly sucks. Mail is kind of cool, that I'll admit. Just not sure the only worthwhile feature it brings is worth all the bugs and troubles it brings me.

zaza101

I have a 2008 pre-unibody Macbook pro (Core2Duo, 4GB ram), upgraded almost right away. I did an update at first, not a clean install. The experience was not that great, Mail kept randomly crashing and the whole thing would freeze up every so often.

It was so annoying I was ready to put 10.6 back on it. Instead I recorded the Lion image onto a USB stick, reformatted the hard drive, installed a clean copy of Lion and then restored my stuff from time machine. No more random crashes of apps and no freezes. What they did to spaces is a step back, but overall I think it's a net gain.

lowfat

Staff member
This happens whenever I switch back from Target Display Mode. For every application open.

Or try connecting to a Lion share from a windows computer.

They may be two small issues to most, but they are huge issues to me. Everytime I want to switch over to my PC I have to make sure I close every single application so that it doesn't resize the eff out of them. Want to connected to my shared folders on my iMac from my gaming machine, nope.

Spaces I don't mind. It is pretty much the same as before just visually different.

I like Mail. I really like the improved Mac-to-Windows SMB file sharing.

Otherwise I find it pretty much exactly the same.

Latest posts