What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

who's using Mac's with the newer M1 / Pro / Max CPU?

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I can't get over the damned Apple tax...but now that it does a respectable job of running Windows on Arm, I am fnding myself leaning more to the side of bearing the pain cuased at the moment I'd click the 'order' button.

supposedly it does just fine with the 8GB the two base models come with, but it never hearts to have 16GB, right?

Izerous

Folding Team
We have 1 or two in the office now but we are not running anything besides OSX on them.

Ditching the Apple own made chip and moving to intel was a great move for them not so many years ago, I find the moving back to their own stuff kind weird but people seem to like the new chipset.

Personally every time they overhaul something it is nothing but pain for me. The amount of software I used that was broken by them FORCING 64bit only apps make so much extra work for me it isn't even funny. I have to keep a second older mac mini not updated because I need that legacy software on occasion. Even now the more recent update Cocoapods was broken, among other things I think I lost a good solid 2 days just fixing things from updating the OS so I could install/run xCode 13 instead of 12, because my software submissions for iPads threw a warning because of an xCode 13 only flag. So I couldn't even release the update to the app store without jumping through all of that.

Technology wise it seems to review well but it looks like you want to get a lot of ram. I recall a lot of articles about it aggressively using the SSD swap space. If all your doing is poking around writing emails and such wont really be relevant unless you have 100s of tabs open but some of the workloads, xcode, unity, visual studio, sometimes i have multiple copies of each open, compiling code, streaming music, discord meeting etc and I'm be concerned a bit more about the potential wear on the drive. So an 8GB model seems like a really bad idea (I need more than that eitherway) but I'd treat it as 16GB minimum.

Bond007

No first hand experience, but I thought I would mention this (it’s on RFD frequently). There are Apple recert ones that can save you a few hundred $…for you to consider.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Ditching the Apple own made chip and moving to intel was a great move for them not so many years ago, I find the moving back to their own stuff kind weird but people seem to like the new chipset.
just wanted to point out the PowerPC CPU were IBM's RISC processors...not Apple 'made' like their Arm based SoC can be thought as being.

I would need more RAM as I have a bazillion tabs open at any given point...and would want a larger SSD so I could try Windows on Arm. ;)

Izerous

Folding Team
So with my intel based mac I technically have 3 chargers. At home the monitor charges the laptop, in the office I have a charger sitting there at all times, and I have another in my bag at all times to go with me when ever it does.

The one with the M1 laptop says he doesn't even bother taking a charger with him most of the time except to the office.

Latest posts