What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Why apple wont release OS X for PC

guilly

Any reason why apple never released OS X for PC? Personally i think apple could gain massive market share by doing this. Between the failure of vista and win 8 it seems apple could have taken advantage of this opportunity.

Personally i much prefer doing my day to day work on OS X i owned a macbook for several years i just don't like the idea of owning two desktops one for gaming and one for office duties (coding, web surfing, photo editing) so for that reason I'm currently doing everything on Win8.

Surely there must be a reason why apple doesn't want to do this ?

sswilson

Staff member
Any reason why apple never released OS X for PC? Personally i think apple could gain massive market share by doing this. Between the failure of vista and win 8 it seems apple could have taken advantage of this opportunity.

Personally i much prefer doing my day to day work on OS X i owned a macbook for several years i just don't like the idea of owning two desktops one for gaming and one for office duties (coding, web surfing, photo editing) so for that reason I'm currently doing everything on Win8.

Surely there must be a reason why apple doesn't want to do this ?

Probably the main reason is the loss of total control over all hardware. If you want the best of both worlds you could always google hackintosh and see what you find.... ;)

guilly

Probably the main reason is the loss of total control over all hardware. If you want the best of both worlds you could always google hackintosh and see what you find.... ;)

It seems that the hardware excuse is getting old, especially with all of the successful hackintosh builds these days. Im looking into hackintosh as we speak but unlese your computer savvy theres no way the average joe would ever attempt this.

Apple make great hardware, its sleek and just works but anyone that knows hardware would be crazy to pay the premium in my opinion.

It would be nice to see os x in the enterprise one day :biggrin:

JD

Staff member
The reason why OSX has never come to Windows-based PC's is the simple fact that Apple doesn't want to have to develop their code so that it works universally across all hardware as well as writing all the necessary drivers. By only allowing it to run on their hardware, they can very specifically target their code at certain hardware-software optimizations.

And Apple remains very anti-Enterprise management, something Windows excels tremendously with. 3rd parties are starting to implement management capabilities but until it has 1st party support I can't see it gaining much ground. Granted, I see more and more Apple hardware (iPads and Macs) moving into my workplace, but I don't foresee it taking over our Windows machines for quite a few years to come, if at all. We have about 70 Macs versus roughly 4200 Windows desktops.

AkG

It seems that the hardware excuse is getting old, especially with all of the successful hackintosh builds these days. Im looking into hackintosh as we speak but unlese your computer savvy theres no way the average joe would ever attempt this.

Apple make great hardware, its sleek and just works but anyone that knows hardware would be crazy to pay the premium in my opinion.

It would be nice to see os x in the enterprise one day :biggrin:

No they make pretty hardware. Completely different form 'great'. Damn near every model they make has issues. From overheating to down right bad screens.

They tried the enterprise market...it was a disaster. Unlike the consumer space, enterprise buyers are not swayed by a pretty UI and slick marketing. It has to work, it has to be backstopped by a good and fast warranty / RMA process AND it cant be 2x the price of the competition. Their 'enterprise' kit failed because of the last part.

draemn

Seriously? We have people saying "the hardware excuse is getting old?"

Apple does not sell software. IT SELLS HARDWARE!!!!! The only way apple has to not be one of the other many mindless companies selling hardware is to provide their own software and not be tied down to Microsoft or someone else. Considering their last upgrade to OS X was 100% free, I don't think it would help them to gain this "market share" for their OS by allowing it to be installed on any computer. Why do so many people forget that they are not in the business of software?

All of Apple's software is designed to help their hardware sell. It just happened that they also figure a business model to make money off iTunes, but its main gail is to help them sell more iPods and then iPhones and iPads.

guilly

No they make pretty hardware. Completely different form 'great'. Damn near every model they make has issues. From overheating to down right bad screens.

They tried the enterprise market...it was a disaster. Unlike the consumer space, enterprise buyers are not swayed by a pretty UI and slick marketing. It has to work, it has to be backstopped by a good and fast warranty / RMA process AND it cant be 2x the price of the competition. Their 'enterprise' kit failed because of the last part.

Yes your right "pretty" is a much better term. I am seeing more and more ipad being demanded i guess its possible that users may start asking for os x as their OS of choice once more and more tablets begin to be distributed. For now its really only the top level execs that use ipads. We have 30 000+ windows desktops and probably 2000 OS x for specific application use only. So, yes i would have to agree things wont be changing over night in the enterprise, i just hope one day it will :biggrin:

Anyone here deal with VDI at work? This would be a easy way for apple to get into the market besides hardware the only big thing missing is AD integration but as JD pointed out I think you would see more 3rd party apps being available to address this if demand was there

guilly

Seriously? We have people saying "the hardware excuse is getting old?"

Apple does not sell software. IT SELLS HARDWARE!!!!! The only way apple has to not be one of the other many mindless companies selling hardware is to provide their own software and not be tied down to Microsoft or someone else. Considering their last upgrade to OS X was 100% free, I don't think it would help them to gain this "market share" for their OS by allowing it to be installed on any computer. Why do so many people forget that they are not in the business of software?

All of Apple's software is designed to help their hardware sell. It just happened that they also figure a business model to make money off iTunes, but its main gail is to help them sell more iPods and then iPhones and iPads.

Ignore ipad, ipod and possibly iphones to me the hardware thing is old. I don't see why anyone pays a premium for macbook or mac pro.

Yes i realize all of their software is now free all im saying is i would be quite happy to pay for osx if i could run it on my platform of choice and i was curious how many others felt the same.

Bond007

Apple is all about image and being different. Releasing their software would dilute their being "unique" and bring them down the slope of the PC with lowered profit margins. I like the phones...everything PC based I could never justify the premium.

Latest posts