What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Why are the MAC's and apple stuff so expensive?

Perineum

I bet those vaporous people you speak of with 80" tv's are sitting far away from the screen if they can't perceive the difference...

yes, 90% of the worlds population are incapable of seeing a difference, but you aren't.

... and remember, 80% of drivers rate themselves as above average drivers too.

... and music can only really be enjoyed by tube transistors, everything else is too harsh.

My point is that "______phile" people always perceive some minute difference that no one else can, or cares to look for.

I think a Retina display is another "solution" looking for a "problem" to fix.

I think it's more bother than it's worth..... but visualphiles see the big difference no one else can.

BeaverBender

yes, 90% of the worlds population are incapable of seeing a difference, but you aren't.

... and music can only really be enjoyed by tube transistors, everything else is too harsh.

My point is that "______phile" people always perceive some minute difference that no one else can, or cares to look for.

I think it's more bother than it's worth..... but visualphiles see the big difference no one else can.

As mentioned, if you want to continue this, it should be in a separate thread. I would love to see where you got the statistics that 90% of people can't tell the difference in resolution for an 80" screen, or was that pure hyperbole?

Perineum

90% is from the fact that no one is complaining about it. No one even thought about it

.... until Apple came out with a high res screen you just have to have. Those are the other 10%

It's all advertising..... and it works.

You can't just buy creatine as a supplement. You have to buy GERMAN creatine.

You can't just buy a laptop. You need to buy an Apple laptop. It's got that high res screen that you NEED to have. Cause it looks better. Which is, of course, completely subjective.

I still think it's pointless to have that much resolution on that small of a screen. I would take it but not at a price premium.

As mentioned before it doesn't even sound like the Mac does well with it. However, this "feature" is just another reason why Apple can ask for more, even if it really does nothing for the end user.

Last edited:

Perineum

Yup, and no one complained about hard drives until they experienced an SSD :clap:

Yes, except your SSD stutters and does a worse job than the HD it was meant to replace.

It does look really really good with that shiny case it's got though.

It's easy to see how a SSD improves things. No one even argues that.

People do argue about the Retina screen, and for good reason.

BeaverBender

Hmmm, I only see you arguing about the lack of advantages for a higher resolution screen. Please enlighten me with tests showing that people don't like more pixels.

AkG

I wonder what is the need to run office at that resolution, for Excel I prefer a 30" display, or 2 or 3

Bingo. Pixel count is huge important...but so is screen SIZE. Cant beat having a 30" for excel and another for Photoshop. :)

As mentioned, if you want to continue this, it should be in a separate thread. I would love to see where you got the statistics that 90% of people can't tell the difference in resolution for an 80" screen, or was that pure hyperbole?

Actually, that isnt hyperbole as such. A couple years ago studies were done and 1080p vs 720p was shown to be indistinguishable at normal viewing distances on anything below (IIRC and might be wrong) 46" screens. On monitors most peeps cant tell the difference once the pixel density hits a certain point. Its only a boon for photo editors and the such. Personally I want a 30" version. THEN it will be useful. Until then its a fancy toy.

JJThomp

I don't think you know what you're talking about. Nothing that runs at that resolution? Hmm, let me see, I run all the Office apps at 5mp, as well as all the built-in Apple apps, plus Aperture for my photos, some games like Civ5 AND as I said, I run Windows 8 on it so ALL my Windows apps run at 5mp. Btw, it only scales the fonts so your comment there is wrong as well. Nice try but you should do some better research first.

You run Civ5 at that resolution? Must have like 10-20 FPS or graphics options way down low (in which case it looks like crap anyways). Office apps at 5mp are useless, photo's I can understand that would make a difference. I'm just saying you really don't need it and in most cases it does not make a difference.

As far as everyday life goes though for me, gaming, internet browsing, research and word processing the screen makes no difference. I would love to have it for my desktop because I could drive some games (although my GPU is still no where near as strong as I would like it to be to game at that resolution and it kicks the crap out of a 650m) but as far as a desktop goes with that hardware it offers nothing for me.

You missed the part where I clarified it was personal opinion and that I never said you can't get any value from it. I said I wouldn't get any value from it. Also I read a lot about the scaling and how things look on the "Retina" screen because I was considering buying one but I ultimately decided it would be a huge waste.

BeaverBender

Bingo. Pixel count is huge important...but so is screen SIZE. Cant beat having a 30" for excel and another for Photoshop. :)

Actually, that isnt hyperbole as such. A couple years ago studies were done and 1080p vs 720p was shown to be indistinguishable at normal viewing distances on anything below (IIRC and might be wrong) 46" screens. On monitors most peeps cant tell the difference once the pixel density hits a certain point. Its only a boon for photo editors and the such. Personally I want a 30" version. THEN it will be useful. Until then its a fancy toy.

So, I see you are now arguing with me on behalf of other members. Did he request you do this or are you just ganging up on me? Was i asking YOU if it was hyperbole? Please show me these studies you speak of, although they don't really matter since we were talking about 80" screens so obviously 46" is not applicable. I love it when people use studies they think they've heard of that are not even relevant. You are correct that resolution becomes irrelevant above a certain point, but that point is much higher than the vast majority of current screens. I have showed pictures and Office applications on my MBPR and compared them to one of my other laptops and even complete laymen are blown away by the difference. Try it, you will like it... As Mikey once said on a commercial :biggrin:

Like I said, I have a 30" high-res screen and the difference is night and day.

Latest posts