What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Why bother with a smartphone?

Full Speed

I never take time to check my email. Having a smartphone basically makes me stay up to date with that stuff. Don't use facebook much but a lot of my friends do so I like to be notified when they message me, make events, etc. I also love having mobile internet and MSN on the go. Most other things I use it for a normal cell can do, but the extra cost is worth it to me.

Basically I just like having all forms of communication in my pocket.

chrisk

Folding Captain
I only have a data plan because I have a corporate acct. But yeah, GPS is really good, text, weather, etc.

I also like having access to restaurant lists/reviews, and the yellow pages wherever I am. Bus schedules/delays, flight info while travelling, etc etc.

I don't do the social networking thing on my phone either.

Arinoth

Staff member
Let me guess: Blackberry social networking is terrible?

By the way, have you use the Torch yet?

Blackberry social networking doesnt suck, i am not sucked into that crap is what i was saying.

I dont want to thread crap, i have been discussing my Torch usage in my own "What smartphone to buy" thread

Opeqa16x

I heard that if you don't buy a smart phone from one of the companies that sells them at their stores (Bell, Rogers, Telus etc) then you don't have to pay for a data plan and all you really need is a sim card and a basic plan. Is that true? That's the only way I could justify paying for a smartphone every month tbh.

I'd rather pay 300 dollars extra for a smartphone on ncix for example and not have to pay a ridiculous monthly price than pay less for the phone and have to pay that premium.

Agafaba

If you get a data plan (at least with rogers) they give you 100$ off the price, if you cancel it they charge you the 100$. Its a one year contract for the data plan I believe.

bojangles

Blackberry social networking doesnt suck, i am not sucked into that crap is what i was saying.

I dont want to thread crap, i have been discussing my Torch usage in my own "What smartphone to buy" thread
I see what you mean. The reason I asked is because I find social networking on BB really bad. I feel like there's so many features missing in MSN, Facebook and others that it just bothers me.

I also don't like how my Bold 9000 is uber slow...it lags when I open up facebook and there's practically nothing that's open.

I'll read up on your torch thread and see what your opinion is. I may be switching over to Android/iOS though.

JMCD

Things I use my iphone for over a standard phone

- integrated ipod (+ car stereo = win)
- internet browsing on demand. Eg. If I'm ever in FS/BB I can price match on the spot.
- Tethering - I work shift work doing security, having internet is a god send. Also while at school sometimes the wifi is lacking and 3g is better.

miggs78

I see what you mean. The reason I asked is because I find social networking on BB really bad. I feel like there's so many features missing in MSN, Facebook and others that it just bothers me.

I also don't like how my Bold 9000 is uber slow...it lags when I open up facebook and there's practically nothing that's open.

I'll read up on your torch thread and see what your opinion is. I may be switching over to Android/iOS though.

Not to threadcap like Arinoth said, but BB I found was and is still majorly used by company employees, and Social networking really isn't part of work, that is why BB probably didn't focus much on those kind of things. Browsing the net now is a different aspect...

Anyhow on topic: I could afford a $50 data plan, but I really don't need it, I have access to internet at home and somewhat at work, I had a regular phone unlimited data package that I can't usually visit most sites I want (not full pages, just mobile version pages)..

But for business owners, a smartphone is a very very useful thing, for the fact of having email and access to internet without any effort really, a data plan kills though, min $50 I think is expensive really.

Cheator

I'm on wind with a Nexus one... Its great for tethering, messaging, email on the go, and I don't pay much at all in terms of plan cost. So, why not?