What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Why is CPU-Z showing different ram bandwidth?

hen555

I baught the Patriot Viper 6gb DDR3 PC3 10666 tripple channel and In CPU-Z
It is showing my ram as PC3-8500f (533MHz) for max bandwith.

Did tigerdirect cheat me and give me the wrong ram ? I baught it in store...and the guy said it was the last one...Or is my motherboard not compatible?? Or is there some bios settting I have to do?

It reads the ram right at 2gb each piece but I dont understand...

hope you guys can help love u guys.

Jake_HT

533x2 = 1066

not 10666

DDR = Double data rate.. double the clock you see in CPU-Z to get data rate

My 1600MHz RAM says 800MHz in CPU-Z, it is correct.

ayah

533x2 = 1066

not 10666

DDR = Double data rate.. double the clock you see in CPU-Z..

My 1600MHz RAM says 800MHz in CPU-Z, it is correct.
^ Yep. Everything is as it should be.

3oh6

sorry guys but you are wrong, here is a little refresher on how memory is classified...

PC3-8500 = DDR3-1066 = 533MHz
PC3-10666 = DDR3-1333 = 667MHz
PC3-12800 = DDR3-1600 = 800MHz
PC3-16000 = DDR3-2000 = 1000MHz

...and so on and so forth. the OP purchased PC3-10666 memory and in the SPD tab it is showing as Max Bandwith of only PC3-8500. this is not uncommon and certainly no big deal. the Max Bandwidth programed into the SPD of memory is often wrong, take for instance the PC3-16000 OCZ Blade memory that i reviewed here at HWC...

same PC3-8500F despite being completely different memory. JEDEC specs to the rescue, in order to be compliant with JEDEC specification, this is how memory has to be programmed, no worries. all modules will either be 8500F or 10700H here for the most part.

what you are interested in is the Memory tab of CPU-Z as that tells you what your memory is actually operating at. in the Memory tab, your DRAM Frequency should be 533MHz if your memory is running at spec, and it might be, but it also might not be. if it isn't, you will need to adjust the memory ratio and possibly set voltages and timings to compensate and get your memory to run at spec, by default, memory doesn't run at its ratings unless they are XMP compitable, they simply run at the lowest possible to allow POST.

if you need further assistance in getting your memory running at spec, we'll need your motherboard model, a link ot the memory you have, and a screen shot of your 'Memory' tab from CPU-s wouldn't hurt.

martin_metal_88

Yes everything is fine. Is it me or everythime some one get something at tigerdirect store it's the last one in stock???

hen555

lol I dont know, If you get a good sales guy they go and check in the back. The guy who was helping me was really nice, he helped me alot and yea he put effort into actually trying to find cheaper better parts for me in the back.

But Tiger direct store they are usualy out of stock.. I was supposed to get the i5 but out of stock so I went with i7...which isnt so bad lol ;).

And they dont have everything they have on the web.
Its all about luck.

Latest posts

Twitter