What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Why The FIRST 5GHz CPU Almost Failed - AMD FX-9590 Revisited!

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member

The AMD FX-9590 was the world's first widely available 5GHz enthusiast CPU yet it was launched at a bad time when the Piledriver architecture struggled to compete with Intel. But how well does it compete today? Let's take another look at this legendary processor and overclock it on the ASUS 990FX Sabertooth. :)

Buy items in this video from Amazon at the links below:

Corsair K95 Platinum - https://geni.us/K95XT
Noctua NH-U12S - https://geni.us/U12SB
Noctua NH-D15 - https://geni.us/NoctuaD15

Bond007

Terrible days for amd then. I still remember my disappointment when they moved to bulldozer....it was a step back from the then ancient stars architecture in some ways.

Terrible architecture that had its “sweet spot” in the mid 4 ghz range forced to suck power and run at 5ghz. A failing combination. I am so glad those days are behind us.

Lysrin

To be honest, AMD wasn't even on my radar back then. I am glad those days are behind us too and that if I was building a new PC today, which company gets to provide its brain isn't a forgone conclusion!

sswilson

Staff member
To be honest, AMD wasn't even on my radar back then. I am glad those days are behind us too and that if I was building a new PC today, which company gets to provide its brain isn't a forgone conclusion!

Many of us were long time AMD/ATI fans from earlier platforms who were forced accept that they'd lost their way. The whole "shared resources between cores" being marketed as full cores was just too much, especially when performance benchmarks made it abundantly clear that they weren't up to the task.

I had to pull out my past AMD/ATI creds multiple times in order to shut down fanboi accusations of just being a hater as opposed to having legitimate complaints about the platform.

Lysrin

I was definitely an ATI fan in the deep past for GPUs but only ran I think one system that used AMD CPUs. So I don't have the creds, but have never been a hater. Just more of a best-bang-for-the-buck gamer back then.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Bulldozer and Piledriver really turned my stomach away from their CPU lineup (it was crazy when my Phenom had better IPC then the CPU that supposed to replace it....)
And the lack of solid Mobile GPU options really sunk it on the GPU side.
Now that they are back in the game, I am so excited for the new Mobile CPU's coupled with their Mobile GPU's.
Would love to support them again.

This CPU, and its family were a mess. Good to know where they came from though.

-ST

Izerous

Folding Team
I had jumped from an 1100T to a FX-8370. I had eyeballed the FX-9590 at the time but everything above the 8370 had a huge jump in TDP and I wanted to avoid replacing the CH4 Extreme as long as possible and 220W+ TDP processors didn't seem like a good idea on a board designed around around CPU's with much lower TDP. Pretty sure there was never an official BIOS update to support anything higher than the 8370 anyways.

Latest posts

Twitter