What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

wife's puter dead?

Coach

Will not power on. She came to it, it was strange that it was off because it should have been asleep.

ASUS Z97-A
16GB DDR3 4*4
Intel 512GB SSD
MSI 1660
EVGA 750 SuperNova
NH d14

Swapped out PSU
pulled board from case
pulled all ram
tried each slot with one stick
confirmed 1660 worked elsewhere
pull cmos battery

Will not power on. My guess is mobo but it could be CPU??? What do you think?

clshades

Wives computers must not die. General rule of life these days. Don't get me started... :p

If you get a new board to test the cpu and it works I guess that narrows it down? IF it doesn't work with new board take the board back?

JD

Staff member
If you have a case speaker, plug it in to hear if there's any beep codes? Onboard video has no output either?

Things die when your on Amazon shopping for new things though, the computers sense you are looking to upgrade or replace them :cautious:

djbrad

The cpu rarely dies until overclocked. Even if the cpu fan fails, the computer will shutdown before cooking (we are far away from thunderbird / P4 times).

My guess is the motherboard.

If the cmos battery died, it should boots to default settings everytime and complaints about it? Never ignore the small things, easy to replace and try, as suggested by bond007.

danmitch1

Have you tried re setting the cmos? Like the old pull the battery and hold the power button for 30seconds trick?

Coach

Thanks for the input guys!

I have reseated the cpu with no luck. I also reset the bios with the same result.

Anyone have a Z97 or Z87 board? It is a real shot in the dark...

sswilson

Staff member
Before you throw the MB into the trash bin, did you give the socket pins a good cleaning with 99% alcohol or contact cleaner?

I just went though this with a 1155 board that was stuck in a memory boot loop. I was just about to throw in the towel after trying all of the standard troubleshooting procedures (including multiple reseats, and trying a different CPU on the board) but decided to give the socket pins a good cleaning using 99% alcohol on a soft bristle tooth brush which seems to have done the trick. (I've got a couple of days worth of stress testing done and it's still working like a trooper so I think I'm good).

Latest posts

Twitter