What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

wife's puter dead?

Coach

I may try that.

I will guess that I have a short on the board somewhere. The bottom of the board near the audio it gets warm/real warm when the board is powered but will not turn on... does not look good.

I was able to borrow my cousins computer, it uses a Z87-a and a 4690k. My cpu works in his and his not in mine. Combined with the strange real warm board while off thing and I deemed it dead.

Bond007

I may try that.

I will guess that I have a short on the board somewhere. The bottom of the board near the audio it gets warm/real warm when the board is powered but will not turn on... does not look good.

I was able to borrow my cousins computer, it uses a Z87-a and a 4690k. My cpu works in his and his not in mine. Combined with the strange real warm board while off thing and I deemed it dead.

Sounds like you have that one figured out.

Cannon Fodder

Before you throw the MB into the trash bin, did you give the socket pins a good cleaning with 99% alcohol or contact cleaner?

I just went though this with a 1155 board that was stuck in a memory boot loop. I was just about to throw in the towel after trying all of the standard troubleshooting procedures (including multiple reseats, and trying a different CPU on the board) but decided to give the socket pins a good cleaning using 99% alcohol on a soft bristle tooth brush which seems to have done the trick. (I've got a couple of days worth of stress testing done and it's still working like a trooper so I think I'm good).

Thanks for that post - will have to file that one into my potential fixes memory, in case a similar situation ever happens here...... I'd never heard of anyone doing that before! (y)

gingerbee

he gave it the good old "tech yes loving" lol it has saved many of my older stuff over the years brake cleaner/WD-40/99% alcohol can work wonders.. glad to hear you found the problem :)

Shadowarez

Folding Team
anyone know of a good brake cleaner to use since im not so sure canada will carry the same variants of the one he uses?

KaptCrunch

anyone know of a good brake cleaner to use since im not so sure canada will carry the same variants of the one he uses?
they are here, only in industrial supply house not in retail stores. use the non-chlorinated cleaner for chlorinated is very Toxic to your health thats why not available retail for known carcinogens

Last edited:

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Thank you I'll see what I can find around here have a few special contractor stores around city can prob find something.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Thank you damn they won't ship to me 🤬 I'll have to us a mail forwarding service if places in town don't have something similar.

Attachments

• 20201031_105052.jpg
    20201031_105052.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 3

Dr0y

Do they ship by air to get there ... might be why ...

Could ask some local hardware store to order some for you, maybe they can get it delivered in more normal ways.

99% isopropyl alcohol also works great to clean and disinfect stuff.

Latest posts