What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Wifi + Bluetooth USB Receiver

Generic User #2

I've seen plenty of wifi usb receivers, but are there wifi usb adapters that also support bluetooth?

I was previously using a 6235 wifi card, but I don't have antenna connectors for it anymore and I still need bluetooth connectivity (usb ports are at a minimum, so I need wifi + bluetooth in a single unit if possible).

EDIT:

sorry, forgot to mention. I need 802.11n 5Ghz support and it would be great if the unit small as well.

sswilson

Staff member
I haven't come across any during my travels which seems weird considering that the intel mini-PCIe unit has no problems with it, and it's not like stand-alone USB BT dongles are expensive. You'd think it would be a no brainer for manufacturers to add it into a few of their models.

MacJunky

Can you tap into some lines of a mPCI-E slot inside the notebook and run a stripped down bluetooth dongle off that? If your notebook had optional WWAN or tuner that would be an ideal target. If not then some have bare pads where an mPCI-E slot would have gone.

If you have enough room sometimes you can fit a stripped down tiny USB hub inside some notebooks.

Though these options are generally considered relatively extreme by some. :p

Generic User #2

haha. not a notebook. a NUC :D I finally found a random facebook comment that had a link to purchase the antenna and internal connectors, so i SHOULD be good (I'll know for sure once I can install everything)

i think this confirms that what i was looking for is pretty rare

Twitter