What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Wifi card (formally: Old laptop and usb 3)

sswilson

Staff member
Ok good at least we can expand the usb2 port.

Like this https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-universal-dock-d6000/apd/452-bcyt/pc-accessories ?
How does that hook up to the laptop?

No, the universal ones wouldn't help your case at all. They connect through the USB 3 port.

The older business models had a port on the bottom that connected to the docking station.

For your USB 2 port, just grab a cheaparse unpowered USB 2 Hub.

JD

Staff member
I don't think WiMax ever took off though...

You should be able to put an AC card in there too if you are wanting even more speed, but I guess you've already doubled it :)

sswilson

Staff member
Glad to hear it worked out for you. Always happy to find a home for dusty PC parts.... :)

danmitch1

Thanks sswilson!! Oh wait, the bluetooth isnt compatible. You think I could put the old card in the other slot for bluetooth?

sswilson

Staff member
BT isn't compatible with the hardware, or maybe the existing driver is the problem? Seems strange to me that the card would interface well enough to use the wifi, but not the bluetooth.

Is it just not working, or are you getting a device manager error? One thing I'd wonder about is if your antenna(s) is/are tuned for both spectrums if it only had a 2.4 Ghz card in it.

danmitch1

BT isn't compatible with the hardware, or maybe the existing driver is the problem? Seems strange to me that the card would interface well enough to use the wifi, but not the bluetooth.

Is it just not working, or are you getting a device manager error? One thing I'd wonder about is if your antenna(s) is/are tuned for both spectrums if it only had a 2.4 Ghz card in it.
Good question, well, there is an unknown device in device manager and no Bluetooth toggle button on the taskbar. Devices wont connect that could before the swap.
The driver i found off the intel site wont install with or without compatibility mode.
Windows update isn't finding anything new either.
I guess i should try uninstalling the original driver?

Im gonna have to look up antenna tuning, ive never even heard of that lol.