What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Wifi card (formally: Old laptop and usb 3)

sswilson

Staff member
Good question, well, there is an unknown device in device manager and no Bluetooth toggle button on the taskbar. Devices wont connect that could before the swap.
The driver i found off the intel site wont install with or without compatibility mode.
Windows update isn't finding anything new either.
I guess i should try uninstalling the original driver?

Im gonna have to look up antenna tuning, ive never even heard of that lol.

Some antennas are rated for both 2.4 & 5, while older ones are only rated for 2.4. I had a devil of a time finding 5Ghz antennas when I was using that particular card. IIRC, I ultimately ended up buying a cheap used router on kijiji just to rob the antennas off of it... :)

Does your better half use bluetooth with her laptop? If you absolutely had to you could grab a usb 2.0 dongle to plug into the hub you were going to get.

djbrad

If you just want to test the BT, I will say my old recommendation : boot a linux distro from usb / cd to validate (ubuntu, linuxmint, etc). If it works there, then there is a driver problem in windows.

danmitch1

Some antennas are rated for both 2.4 & 5, while older ones are only rated for 2.4. I had a devil of a time finding 5Ghz antennas when I was using that particular card. IIRC, I ultimately ended up buying a cheap used router on kijiji just to rob the antennas off of it... :)

Does your better half use bluetooth with her laptop? If you absolutely had to you could grab a usb 2.0 dongle to plug into the hub you were going to get.
Ohh ok, I guess considering Im picking up my 5g signal, im good right? I was thinking of making an antenna extension though, I wonder how possible that is.

Popped in the old card to the wifimax slot for fun, It was picked up but oddly enough the driver didn't work on it, It worked sorta.. which is weird, it paired with a head set but no sound came through. But you are right, she doesnt really use it that much and if push comes to shove, ill just get an adaptor like you mentioned.

@djbrad thanks for the suggestion, but as I mentioned above, I think Ill forget about the bluetooth for now.