What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Wifi Extender?

slay3r

I just bought a DIR-655 and the wifi range isn't big enough for all my house.
Can anyone suggest me a wifi extender that could help get a better wifi strengh signal.

I've googled it but I couldn't find anything that is in stock. Products from hawkings/linksys seemed to be popular but most of them are discontinued everywhere. Maybe for security/health purpose? Iunno...

Are such thing possible nowaday?

P.S. I know that you can make your own wifi antenna amplifer but thats not what i want.

grinder

I recently deployed one of these in a small home office environment for one of my clients.

D-Link Wireless N Range Extender

Got it through CDW.

It works as advertised.

One thing the wireless clients would NOT do with this setup was successfully hop from the Wireless Router to the Wireless extender. D-Link confirmed the settings were accurate and blamed the firmware of the d-link wireless router, but that did not cure anything.

NOTE, the wireless clients that would not roam successfully from WireLess Router to WirelessExtender (when walking around) were all Apple devices (iPhone, MacBook pro, etc). PC based devices functioned fine.

all boiled down, the extender setup quickly and easily out of the box. But not a win on wifi iPhones roaming between the router and extender.

slay3r

I shouldn't have problem since i only have a dell portable. I think the trick is to have the same ssid on both.

Do i have to run a wire where i want to put the DAP-1360? I heared access point need wire from router, is that true? Would it be possible to catch the wifi then boost it without wire.

How much farther can this bring the signal strengh? Approximaly?

grinder

I shouldn't have problem since i only have a dell portable. I think the trick is to have the same ssid on both.

^^ that is how you set it up.. same SSID and security settings

Do i have to run a wire where i want to put the DAP-1360? I heared access point need wire from router, is that true? Would it be possible to catch the wifi then boost it without wire.

^^ it's a wireless range extender that doubles as an access point (you can change modes). For superior coverage you would run a wire to the 1360 and use it as an additional access point. Because it's a wireless range extender you can extend your wireless coverage _wirelessly_.

How much farther can this bring the signal strengh? Approximaly?

^^ The answer to that question can only be answered in your environment. Wireless varies so wildly i will not even be bothered to guess dude. But it will extend your wireless coverage.

slay3r

Alright now i think i understand better now ;)

So if i would extend once again my wifi i would need the DAP 1360 (DAP mode)to be wired from router then put another DAP 1360 (Extend mode) that could extend the wifi from it wiressly.

The area i want to cover isn't very large but there are couple of walls in the way. I lose the signal at about 20 feet in straight line from my router.

ZZLEE

higher

Put the 655 at the highest piont you can get it. Second flore if you can you will have better range. Wireless signals like line of site higher is better.

wyuguy

I have tried Amped SP 300 wifi extender and it works great. It has never lost connection and upon reboot just reconnects with no issues. It is well worth the money. buy this wifi repeater you wont regret

Last edited:

Latest posts