What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Will AMD ever solve these problems?

Bartacus

I've had every generation so far, and have been happy as heck. X370 to X470 to X570, and now I'm selling the X570 guts and building Threadripper system. Loved every CPU I've had (1700 / 2700x / 3700x / 3900x). But I also don't measure my rigs against benchmark scores seen on YouTube channels either.

gingerbee

wait you're selling the 3900x and x570 I mean they are 5 months old really do you just need more power. I just don't think I have heard anyone do that unless they bought the wrong stuff

Bartacus

wait you're selling the 3900x and x570 I mean they are 5 months old really do you just need more power. I just don't think I have heard anyone do that unless they bought the wrong stuff
Nah, things changed over a few months. I had considered TR when I first bought X570, but TR wasn't on sale back then. Lately I found myself wanting the PCIE lanes more and more, and was also itchy to downsize to a more 'manageable' case. Plus me being build horny, and finding a potential buyer for the 3900X + board, all contributed. Love the 3900X though, just want more lanes.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Nah, things changed over a few months. I had considered TR when I first bought X570, but TR wasn't on sale back then. Lately I found myself wanting the PCIE lanes more and more, and was also itchy to downsize to a more 'manageable' case. Plus me being build horny, and finding a potential buyer for the 3900X + board, all contributed. Love the 3900X though, just want more lanes.
If it fall through, pm me :)

CPU temperature is a value measured down from tjmax and then converted into degrees in software. Why? Because CPU temperature is measured for CPU safety, not for "how cool it is at idle". The measurement precision drops significantly as distance from tjmax increases. It is also varies not only from die revision to another, but even within the same stepping. Basically CPU manufacturers wanted to protect CPU (distance to tjmax), not implement thermometer.

In some Intel chips idle temp was measuring below ambient. In some - at 50 degreeC. It is just scale coefficient applied to tjmax distance and subtracted from tjmax. That scale coefficient is just an average value for the stepping. The load temperatures are a lot more accurate as tjmax distance is smaller, so scale coefficient error is less.

So, idle temps are not very good measure to make a call on AMD or Intel chips. Load temps are.

MARSTG

Then stop whining and go Intel, go 9400F + H370
9400F. Or get an undeserving 20$ heatsink like the Deepcool GammaXX 300 that can cool down 130W cpus.

LegendMask

My take on your post from my point of view is

But I am a fan of what works, out of the box. Of that, I am a fan!

They both work out of the box as intended

Intel will install and work as advertised, with normal core voltages and low temps on idle. AS it should be.

As you said with normal core voltages, and AMD has stated what is normal and within range with their CPU. If you are talking about what is normal for you then that's a different thing

Will AMD ever sort out these problems? Nothing would make my happier that buying a new Ryzen 5 3600, it's performance/price ratio is

In my opinion there is no major problems preventing it from functioning as intended (sales shows that), its at a stage of refining performance in my opinion and even almost done.

As of now, I am once again tending towards Intel but the choice is pretty limited with only the i7 9700K. Anything below that is now pointless.
But even the i7 feels "old" as it is without HT, Intel really hit below the belt with that one and I am not happy because I'd also be spending much more. I am prepared to wait a month or 2 but eventually I must replace my aging pc.
As of right now AMD seems like the risky choice, while Intel doesn't fell like the choice of the future.

I find myself with a dilemma. I can't buy what I want, and am forced to buy something I don't really want.

All I see in your post are advantages for AMD except for the temperatures which again they have been stated they are normal.

I have been in your spot (maybe even way worse) and Im so glad I got convinced and went with AMD as it has been freaking awesome CPU.

PS: Im not expert or very knowledgeable in this matter, Im just posting what I have experienced.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
so funny how this went from a help thread to a general AMD Ryzen conversation. LoL!

OP, you've hyper-focused on niche issues, one's that are the exception, not the norm and can usually be chalked up as user error.

so stop stressing and buy the most powerful CPU line on the market! :D

On2wheels

If you'd like, I can log and post images/tables of my Ryzen 3600 temps and voltage at idle and in-game. My ambient can be from 17-18.5C, depending how many sweaters I want to put on.
edit: I'm serious, I dont mind collecting the data.

Last edited: