What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Will enabling AHCI boost performance?

_Sigma

You realize that you don't have to reinstall Vista or even repair it to change into ACHI mode eh?
Error message when you start a Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
  2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
  3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
  4. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
  5. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
  6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
  7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

I did it the other day, worked perfectly. I found the OS feels snappier when I'm doing heavy multitasking/disk writes. Might be the placebo effect, although is suspect not.

cadaveca

Banned
Yeah, switching to AHCI form IDE in Vista gave me a gain of 10MB/sec in large file transfers(2-120gb), I used the method listed in the post above, but I also installed Intel chipset AHCI driver before reboot as well.

TopDogZero

I have a question about AHCI, I’m running raid on my P5K-E using the onboard Intel controller, in the bios it gives me the options of IDE, AHCI and RAID but not raid and AHCI both. So is AHCI disabled when using raid or is it enabled?

DarKStar

I did it the other day, worked perfectly. I found the OS feels snappier when I'm doing heavy multitasking/disk writes. Might be the placebo effect, although is suspect not.
No it's not a placebo effect - that is exactly what NCQ was meant for - otherwise for linear access or gaming, might have the opposite effect - for most people it would be best to leave NCQ off.

resinis

You realize that you don't have to reinstall Vista or even repair it to change into ACHI mode eh?

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
  2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
  3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
  4. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
  5. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
  6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
  7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

old thread, i know. but i wanted to thank this guy for posting this because it came up on a google search and i did this one value hack to make my win7 ultimate x64 build run in achi mode after it was installed in ide emulated. i didnt even have to install any drivers before hand, just do this hack, restart, change bios to ahci, and boot. no more bsod and the os reinstalls all the drivers needed. after one more restart, im flyin!

Latest posts

Twitter