What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Win 10 install to dedicated drive?

Entz

I would go with the new black as well, just make sure it is the new SN850. They knocked it out of the park with that one. It beats the 980 Pro more than it loses IIRC.

The bonus of actually being able to RMA it without jumping through the hoops (Emailing Total Tech Solutions in the US and sending your drive) is well worth it.

The 2TB version is exactly twice the price, so I wouldn't even fuss with 2 drives and splitting folders and all that crap. The only reason to do that would be cost (slower but larger game drive) but it doesn't sound like that is the case here.

Bond007

Agree with JD and Entz. Samsung have had some pretty great drives, but there are A LOT of horror stories of people having issues with no warranty support in Canada. Also, they tend to cost a bit more than similarly performing drives.

EDIT: "As it stands today, we can confidently say the WD Black SN850 is the best performing flash-based consumer SSD money can buy."

Last edited:

Lysrin

I'd second (or third or fourth since Bond007 just posted) buying something you can RMA in Canada. Hopefully you don't have to use it, and I have been lucky, but the few times I have had to RMA, doing it in Canada was way less headaches.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Yeah, we all were Samsung fans in years past, but the warranty issues that arose steered everyone away from recent generations.

I've got a 960 Pro left, but any new purchases would be WD for sure.

GeezerGamer

Ok, I'm seeing a trend here:)
re: WD850 and the stock X570 MB thermal guards, will they be ample for cooling as I've read the WD 850 can get toasty(All be it with huge loads pushed at it)? I'll have plenty of fans and If I'm using two NVMe's a tall heat sink might not fit down behind the GPU?
Thoughts and thanks again all for helping me get through this!

GeezerGamer

So I just ordered and will pick up later today one WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD. My plan is to add a 2TB version later on when funds allow.
I hope it all works out......Now I just need my ordered CPU to show up so I can build!

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
So I just ordered and will pick up later today one WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD. My plan is to add a 2TB version later on when funds allow.
I hope it all works out......Now I just need my ordered CPU to show up so I can build!
I just picked up the 2TB myself. Excited to see what PCIE-4 brings with the new technologies being released!

GeezerGamer

Ok, so funds be fucked! I received a notification from Newegg that a WD Black 850 2 TB SSD came into stock. My wife and I were watching a movie and I said to her I don't want to deal with it....let's finish the movie. So Afterwards, not but a hour later I decide to place an order on the SSD. Cool, then five minutes later I check on things and they're out of stock! Crazy times we're living in!

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Ok, so funds be fucked! I received a notification from Newegg that a WD Black 850 2 TB SSD came into stock. My wife and I were watching a movie and I said to her I don't want to deal with it....let's finish the movie. So Afterwards, not but a hour later I decide to place an order on the SSD. Cool, then five minutes later I check on things and they're out of stock! Crazy times we're living in!

You're welcome :)