What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Win 7 on ancient laptop?

hfxmike

I want to give an Acer 4000 to a friend of mine.

It has a AMD Turion 64 ML-37 CPU (single core) and x700 graphics. 2 GB ram.

It already has windows 7 on it, but basic web stuff - Facebook, Youtube, forget it.
I've already turned off all the eye-candy and background/startup processes (as much as possible)....but no real change. It's only good for Soliltaire and Wordpad.

I don't have a lot of time to pour into this thing - and zero money. Would an old version of Chrome or FireFox significantly lighten the demands on the system? All up-to-date browsers want WAY more than this old "Ferrari" can provide. Or should I go back to XP/Vista in addition to older versions of programs.

As a last resort, I might install a very light linux distro on it. (What's the best for this hardware? Puppy?)

I'd really like to stick with something she knows (Windows), but I don't know if a 10 year old version of firefox would make Youtube/Facebook usable. I couldn't stream 360p over ethernet on it.)

Any advice welcome!

Bond007

Normally I say older hardware can find a use, but that is too far gone. Recycle it.

Izerous

Folding Team
After screwing around with trying to get some of the lightweight distro's working as intended on a old intel atom i found laying around it ended up in the scrap bin along with some other stuff destined for the eco-center. I'd personally bin that thing in the exact same spot.

djbrad

You could try linuxmint xfce. My wife ran it on it's celeron coresolo laptop for a year or two. It was ok.

Lysrin

My suggestion would have been a lightweight Linux distribution as mentioned by djbrad. At least that is something to try that costs you nothing but a bit of time. And xfce or similar desktop environments are close enough to Windows not to be too steep a learning curve for a Windows-only user. If you are interested in trying that route there are a lot of good options. This article can help you out and shows you how similar to Windows they are: 10 best lightweight Linux distros.

But, beyond that I have to agree with others. That hardware is tough to breath new life into.

hfxmike

I think I'll install Peppermint linux on it this weekend. Might make it usable....for something.

Lysrin

Certainly worth a shot! Like I said, you're not losing anything, just the time it takes to do the install/setup.

Shadowmeph

yes lightweight linux distros will work also turn off anything that yoiu wont be using . its to bad that XP or 98 were not arounbd I used to run a totally stripped down winxp for years it had very few things running in the back ground worked great for simple things I could even play the old Nonscientific enemy territory on it it only had 500mb ram lol.
if you search around I think that you might be able to find a way to totally strip down win7 I knew a guy that made a version of win7 and put it on a usb stick so that he could just plug it into most pcs ad a mobile os it was a little slow but It saved myu but a few times when I broke my OS wa sable to use it to fix them

hfxmike

Might look for that super stripped down Win 7. I've installed puppy linux and linux lite on other people's netbooks. What I am wondering now is, what hardware requirements are needed to stream 360p or 480p youtube vids. Given a fast internet connection. hmmm

I guess it's a combination of the hardware and the whatever OS and browser, etc are using.
Mike

Latest posts