What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Win 7 to Win 10

Kilauea

Back when it was possible to do the upgrade for free, I did it. I used it, but approaching the deadline (in 2016 I think) to rollback, I decided to rollback.

Essentially, I did not find much advantage of using Win 10 over Win 7. On top of that, I ran into some problems regarding wifi that I did not care to fix.

Since then, I had in mind that I was just going to keep using Win 7 on my laptop.

Now, I just read that it was still possible to "uprade" until December 2017 if you say you use technology of assistance.

Should I make the switch at last or stick to Win 7 until death does us part.

sswilson

Staff member
Couple of things.....

There's no need to use the technology assistance upgrade option. If you did the free upgrade and rolled back, your laptop is registered for automatic W10 activation. Just do a fresh install and select "I don't have an activation code" when it asks for one and it will pick up the digital license on its own.

Secondly.... MS has left a "loophole" open that allows a fresh W10 install using the auth code of a previously "unused for upgrade" auth code. Best guess is that they're still pushing for the highest possible adoption rate and are turning a blind eye to the "loophole". Once W10 is installed and activated in this manner that particular hardware will pick up the digital license for any subsequent fresh installs.

Kilauea

I actually had a problem when I rolled back. It said my license was no longer valid or something. Pissed the hell out of me. I had to call MS and if I recall right, after a lot of arguing about being screwed over despite having the right to revert back to Win 7 (I was in the delays), the guy finally made "an exception" and gave me another key if I recall properly.

But my question was more along the lines of is it worth it now if I will never have DX12 GPU on this laptop... And I guess the security updates in 2020 when Win 7 is no longer supported.

JD

Staff member
Windows 10 at launch vs Windows 10 today is vastly different. They've worked out most of the kinks now IMO and it's a whole lot better than it was. I would say give it another shot.

Latest posts