What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Win 8.1 Pro Refresh issue

Shadowarez

So I upgraded my rig from win 7 ultimate to address a strange issue with it shutting off like it lost power from the psu.

This Pc has a battery backup with 1200watts of protection and pure sinewave tech yet certain games would make the Rig power off like I just flicked the power switch in the back.

So I finally decided to go back to 8.1pro the issues with it powering off are now at boot it boots once shuts down then boots normally but other day it started fine no reboot on first boot.

But now keyboard mouse and monitor got no power so I flicked power switch back of psu left it overnight flicked powerswitch back on no problems till yesterday it kept stalling at windows logo so I chose to do a refresh from repair menu said it wouldn't do much thought it was like system file scan.

It isn't it formated my ssd and my 3TB Nas drive. Has anyone else seen windows act like this? Why would it format my storage drive that's attached to a separate sata controller?

Only hardware changes were I took out 2 gtx 680 classifieds put in a old nvidia 430 till my 980 Ti arrives. I took out the pci-e cables I left the auxiliary power in guessing I should take that put as there's no need for it. Could that be causing issues?

JD

Staff member
Are you sure you didn't do a "Reset"? I didn't think "Refresh" formatted anything, but I could be mistaken...

Do you have a Windows.old folder?

sswilson

Staff member
I did a refresh last week, it didn't format my data drive.
I did a reset a couple of weeks ago and it seems to me that there was an option to clear the data drive. I think the idea behind a reset is that you're getting rid of the device and want to remove all personal info from it. (Kinda like the Android reset, but in this case it actually works to remove your data.... ;) ).

FreeKnight

Any chance the drive is just missing in your devices? Might sound obvious but have you checked it out in Disk Management/'Create and Format Hard Drive Partitions'

I can't see how it would have formatted your NAS unless you had gone through the steps to wipe it...

Shadowarez

Yeah I found in device manager formatted I check over this refresh carefully didn't see any options but what's wierd is I have 2 3TB Wd Reds and it formatted the 2nd hdd it skipped my main backup drive went right for movie back up drive had a project to make back ups of my dvds/blueray discs. That is no longer in works as I don't feel like starting over lol next time I'll unplug data drives lol.

Latest posts

Twitter