What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows 10 May 2020 Update Available

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Damm, I didnā€™t even know that was a thing šŸ˜® glad itā€™s fixed, that would be annoying
It was beyond annoying. Its shown here by moving a window, but it would kick in on literally any GPU use as well;
Have discord open and someone sends a message? Stutter
1 second status updates on a program? Stutter
Switch tabs in FF/Chrome? Stutter

Before there was a fix, I actually locked my 120hz main monitor to 60hz, and then got tired of that in games, so I just removed my 2nd monitor. It was easier to alt tab every time than deal with the stutter.

sswilson

Staff member
winver.JPG

That's what I got.

lowfat

Staff member
Now I'll need to google everything again on how to fix all the issues I have w/ Win10 that reverted w/ the update. :(

EDIT: First issue, as far as I can tell all the work arounds to disable the silly Start web search do not work.

Work around via group policy editior
User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/File Explorer/Turn off display of recent search entries in the File Explorer search box

EDIT2: 4K scaling seems to be working for all apps now as far as i can tell. And having HDR mode enabled doesn't look all that bad for normal SDR content.
EDIT3: Never mind about the HDR. The only reason I thought it was ok was because the tv enabled dynamic tone mapping. After disabling it, the display is WAY too dark. Full brightness 80 nits, rofl.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, judging by the length of time the update took (close to an hour on my laptop) this update is doing something relatively substantial in the background.

mighost (migration host) is the process that was taking so long @ 93%... looked like it was "touching" every file on the PC.... :)

No obvious issues for me so far, but then again, I was using the last install pretty much the way it came out of the box.

One of the "weird" things is that they seem to have removed the "what's new in this version of the OS" link from within settings... it popped up in IE immediately after windows returned after the install, but went away and I can't find a link for it any more.

edit: spoke too soon.... I was getting a "Intel Optane memory Pinning error" when opening file explorer, but repairing that from within control panel/programs and features seems to have resolved the issue.

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
Nothing notable here so far, seems to have upgraded fine on my desktop. I'll run it a few days before proceeding with the mass upgrade across all my devices...

Entz

They are holding it back on a massive amount of machines. Issues.

I wouldn't force it on your machine, its not worth the risk right now.