What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows 10 now includes bios updates as "optional"?

sswilson

Staff member
1610541714515.png

Maybe this has been going on for a while but it's the first time I've seen it. The version being offered here is one step behind the most recent, but since the most current one available on the Dell website is 1.14.0 I'm relatively sure this is the bios and not some other internal hardware firmware update.

I don't know about you, but I sure as hell am not going to be an early adopter and potentially brick my laptop. :)

anabioz

I have latitude E7270 running Fedora 33 and it updates Dell BIOS as well, pretty robust process.

I think the idea here is to improve security posture of the home and corporate devices standardizing and streamlining the update process. I truly believe this is a move in the right direction, that being said - only if proper security controls are in place to validate the integrity of that BIOS update.

gingerbee

in fact, it's been around for a while now. The first time I saw it was around a year ago and I have used it on 3 different brand laptops with not one single problem and from what I can see this has been a thing since early 2019

JD

Staff member
I believe it's part of the UEFI specification, so it's a very well vetted process. Minimal chance of failure I'd say.

As others have said, there can be security risk now with outdated UEFI/BIOS, so it's ideal to have an "automatic" update path, especially for larger corporations.

Shadowmeph

probably not...cause it's 'optional'.
man that would suck if someone that is inexperienced with computer and thinks that Microsoft is Computers like my mother updates and bricks they PC or laptop which is why IO set my mothers laptop to only take critical updates and even those sometimes mess up her laptop and I have to go over there and do my best to get her up and running again

gingerbee

It's easy to find "windows updates bricked my pc" or "bios update bricked my laptop/pc" but I haven't heard of anyone using the MS Bios update to brick anything yet, but I would bet it's out there and I would put my life on it that MS ain't covering shit lol if it happens I would put money on it under the fine print of the usage it says something like updates/bios are at your own risk lol

Latest posts