What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows 10 October 2018 Update (1809)

sswilson

Staff member
The October 2018 Update is now live on in windows update.

Doesn't look like there's anything in there that I'm even slightly interested in, but going through the process on my laptop right now.....

edit: Nothing obviously broken. I'm hoping this will resolve the issue I've been having with my laptop's network card randomly deciding to not connect automatically on startup, and so far so good, but it was random so who knows.... :)

My previous taskbar snipping tool icon still works, but there's a note about it "moving" in the future, and there's now an icon in the settings which opens the new style app, which is a pain as it saves the bloody thing to the clipboard as opposed to just opening an action window with the snip in it.... :(

(copied from my post in the original W10 thread on the off chance that anybody wants a separate thread for this particular update)

ipaine

The October 2018 Update is now live on in windows update.

Doesn't look like there's anything in there that I'm even slightly interested in, but going through the process on my laptop right now.....

edit: Nothing obviously broken. I'm hoping this will resolve the issue I've been having with my laptop's network card randomly deciding to not connect automatically on startup, and so far so good, but it was random so who knows.... :)

My previous taskbar snipping tool icon still works, but there's a note about it "moving" in the future, and there's now an icon in the settings which opens the new style app, which is a pain as it saves the bloody thing to the clipboard as opposed to just opening an action window with the snip in it.... :(

(copied from my post in the original W10 thread on the off chance that anybody wants a separate thread for this particular update)
Oh great here we go again. :doh:

At least with this one, I don't think I'm going to even worry about a new work image. We are waiting till spring when we can get the newer LTSB and start using that on most systems.

Oh and that wifi randomly deciding to not connect automatically on startup, is driving me crazy on a bunch of machines at work. It saves all the info (user/pass) but almost all of the time you have to hit the connect button instead of it doing it automatically. So frustrating.

Lysrin

*snip* Oh great here we go again. :doh:
My thoughts exactly! The last update resulted in a complete wipe and reinstall on my main PC. On the upside it "pushed" me into getting a new NVMe drive for my OS, but I can't do that every time Windows updates! Who has that kind of money??!! :bleh:

Is this the one that finally brings the dark mode or theme to File Explorer? I am looking forward to that.

sswilson

Staff member
Oh great here we go again. :doh:

At least with this one, I don't think I'm going to even worry about a new work image. We are waiting till spring when we can get the newer LTSB and start using that on most systems.

Oh and that wifi randomly deciding to not connect automatically on startup, is driving me crazy on a bunch of machines at work. It saves all the info (user/pass) but almost all of the time you have to hit the connect button instead of it doing it automatically. So frustrating.
Fortunately this is on a business class dell so I've got a physical switch I can turn on/off to force a connection.

The maddening thing is that it initially shows as connected on the lockscreen and then drops to the "connections are available" icon.

edit: and no.... this didn't resolve the issue.

It must be targeted. I'm not pulling it on any of my systems.
You have to specifically check for new updates as opposed to waiting for it to populate on its own.

sswilson

Staff member
That's weird, I was under the impression that it was available to everyone..... Now I feel like a guinea pig.... ;)

JD

Staff member
I think the only notable feature is the "Your Phone" app that supposedly mirrors your phone onto your PC so you can continue using your apps/texts/etc.

They also released Server 2019 and Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 today too. First time having everything drop at once!

sswilson

Staff member
I think the only notable feature is the "Your Phone" app that supposedly mirrors your phone onto your PC so you can continue using your apps/texts/etc.

They also released Server 2019 and Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 today too. First time having everything drop at once!
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the "your phone" app is very much still a work in progress and that the only functionality currently being offered is easy transfer of pictures, and possibly syncing text messages.

edit: Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but Windows doesn't appear to be sending out the text required to connect my phone (it says it's sent, but unless there's a really long lag between the systems it's not getting through) so I suspect the system isn't up and running yet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter