What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows 10 October 2018 Update (1809)

Lysrin

1809 and HP printer driver incompatible

So, on my new build with 1809 it appears that the printer driver from HP isn't compatible. I have an HP Envy 5640. This thread on their forums is marked solved and closed... although it you read the other posts it clearly isn't solved :blarg: I love when they do that...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/HP-5740e-not-working-on-Windows-10-1809-since-update/td-p/6859579

Anyway, I don't have a fix for it yet. Looks like I'll be trying to keep at least one PC on 1803 or making a VM perhaps, until HP or MS make a fix. I tried all the recommended solutions I can find, including the ones in the HP thread, no luck.

2019... why are printer drivers still such a bugger??

JD

Staff member
That's pretty odd... could be one of the new Windows Defender features? Can't quite remember if it was new in 1803 or 1809 though. If you go Settings >Update & Security > Windows Security > Open Windows Security > App & Browser Control > Exploit protection settings, try turning off all of them. Could also try turning off Device security > Memory integrity if it's on.

If any of that works, then the driver isn't well coded and HP should update it...but who knows if they will

Lysrin

Thanks JD. Those ideas had be excited but nope. No change. The Device Security tells me "Standard hardware security not supported", so nothing on there.

KaptCrunch

So, on my new build with 1809 it appears that the printer driver from HP isn't compatible. I have an HP Envy 5640. This thread on their forums is marked solved and closed... although it you read the other posts it clearly isn't solved :blarg: I love when they do that...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/HP-5740e-not-working-on-Windows-10-1809-since-update/td-p/6859579

Anyway, I don't have a fix for it yet. Looks like I'll be trying to keep at least one PC on 1803 or making a VM perhaps, until HP or MS make a fix. I tried all the recommended solutions I can find, including the ones in the HP thread, no luck.

try this driver

Hp write drivers for current hardware, they don't provide other OS drivers when made next printer

sswilson

Staff member
Anybody else notice that the latest updates seem to have toggled the autohide taskbar function off?

Lysrin

An new printer driver finally showed up from HP, actually picked it up by going into Device Manager and running Update Driver. I am now printing from my main PC again! That copy everything to OneDrive, open up Office on my Pixel 2 and print from there was long past tedious at this point. :whistle:

Bunlom

About Windows 10 upgdate,i failed twice,the first time i didn't update to the latest version,and the second time i succeeded,but some of the documents that were saved on the desktop were missing,i suspect they has been deleted,fortunately, they weren't important.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Grrrr.... I knew it was coming, but didn't realise it was already here.... you can no longer do an offline account install without jumping through hoops (there's a hack that involves disabling all network cards in bios which forces an error on the next boot which then allows an offline account to be created). What you have to do now is to either create a new account, or use an existing one that you can then remove in favour of an offline account once windows is installed.....

What a major pain in the arse!!!!!!

JD

Staff member
Grrrr.... I knew it was coming, but didn't realise it was already here.... you can no longer do an offline account install without jumping through hoops
Hmm, have you looked at using an Unattend file instead? I would imagine that should "fix" it...

Latest posts