What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows 10 problem

Finch

the problem is still there

i switched the primary display to pci-e instead of auto in the bios. Can't find an option to disable it. Installed the rx 570 and windows is all updated and it crashes on loading

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
That is bizarre...Does the iGPU still display if plugged in, after update? Perhaps its some kind of dual GPU display detection issue?

Edit: If its actually a crash, this wont matter. Rereading your posts, I think you need to check out the update logs, and identify WHICH update is causing the hang/crash. You should be able to manually ignore that specific update.

Last edited:

Finch

igpu works fine by it self.

when i use dedicated gpu windows hang on loading screen

igpu does not work when dedicated gpu is installed

but igpu worked once even when gtx560 was plugged in, then i checked system devices and couldn't find the gtx560 in the list, there was only the igpu 4000 in the list

is there a problem with my pci-e port/drivers when windows is updated? cause like a said windows vanilla the dedicated gpu's works fine

Finch

Edit: If its actually a crash, this wont matter. Rereading your posts, I think you need to check out the update logs, and identify WHICH update is causing the hang/crash. You should be able to manually ignore that specific update.
well that the hard part that i couldn't work out because it hangs in less then 10 seconds when i plug the internet (obviously it is downloading and installing something) then crashes and i cannot access windows anymore to look at the logs. Also, i disabled the auto update thing so no update is installing, what i found is that even when update is disabled, it will still download and install optional features (if only i could disable that too) anyways i can't see wich one is the culprit

sswilson

Staff member
Any chance you can get your hands on an older win 10 install? It could be that your particular hardware config is one of the ones that's on hold for the 2004 release but of course, I'm sure MS is pushing only 2004 out the door with the media creation tool.

If I had to guess... I suspect it's probably something to do with the onboard graphics interfering with the dedicated card.... have you checked to see if there are any new(ish) GPU drivers direct from intel?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
We're cross talking here and not getting (and giving you) the whole story I think. I highly doubt its finishing all windows downloads and updating immediately and crashing, all within 10 seconds?

Perhaps its the Network port/driver if thats the case.

After the crash, can you pull the GPU and it'll boot back in to windows?

Finch

Any chance you can get your hands on an older win 10 install? It could be that your particular hardware config is one of the ones that's on hold for the 2004 release but of course, I'm sure MS is pushing only 2004 out the door with the media creation tool.

If I had to guess... I suspect it's probably something to do with the onboard graphics interfering with the dedicated card.... have you checked to see if there are any new(ish) GPU drivers direct from intel?
I tried older versions down to 2018 wich is when my pc worked fine but even that doesnt work anymore because MS auto download some stuff that is causing this, even when i disable updates, it downloads something like optional features and crashes during that.

We're cross talking here and not getting (and giving you) the whole story I think. I highly doubt its finishing all windows downloads and updating immediately and crashing, all within 10 seconds?

Perhaps its the Network port/driver if thats the case.

After the crash, can you pull the GPU and it'll boot back in to windows?
sorry, it crashes after 10 seconds just after it starts downloading and installing something. I don't know what though.
yes i can boot back if i remove gpu and use the igpu. I also installed the official wifi adapter drivers offline instead of the built in windows driver and i get the same thing. wifi works great when i use igpu...

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Well, if you can get back in to windows without the dGPU, then you should be able to find the crash log (Event Viewer) to point you in the right direction?

For clarity, 'downloading' and 'installing' are two separate instances with windows update. It downloads (everything) first generally, then installs after. This is whats leading me to confusion on the root problem: Your system works until it starts 'downloading' it would appear, and never even gets a chance to make it to the 'installing' portion I believe; why the dGPU is causing that is the real mystery...

Event viewer should reveal more.

Last edited:

Finch

Well, if you can get back in to windows without the dGPU, then you should be able to find the crash log (Event Viewer) to point you in the right direction?

For clarity, 'downloading' and 'installing' are two separate instances with windows update. It downloads (everything) first generally, then installs after. This is whats leading me to confusion on the root problem: Your system works until it starts 'downloading' it would appear, and never even gets a chance to make it to the 'installing' portion I believe; why the dGPU is causing that is the real mystery...

Event viewer should reveal more.
what i see is when windows download updates, some will download and install one at a time. but like i said it is not an update because i blocked those. But what i noticed once is that when i hooked up the internet, i clicked on the optional features list and noticed it was downloading one at a time and installing one at a time. couldn't see which one it was and only saw that window once, many times it will freeze before i can see. some of the optional features are like 1-2mb in size, so yes it is quite fast to download and install within 10 seconds.

Now that windows is all updated it works fine only on the igpu, not dgpu. since it is freezing on windows loadiing screen it does not go pass that, what i see in the event viewer is only critical kernel error and says windows was not properly shut down (normal cause i have to force reset)

can you point me out in the event viewer under which category i should look for?

Latest posts

Twitter