What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows 10 problem

KaptCrunch

look on MB for the Revx.xx written and check for bios update that matches your MB Rev number

reason is windows using default video driver while installing and then loads your GPU driver the issues appears !

Last edited:

Shadowmeph

after fiddling , i removed the gpu and use the onboard graphics and all seems fine, problem solved. So by removing gpu the problem is no longer there. The thing is the 2 different gpu (with latest drivers installed) i tested run's fine and bench fine when windows is vanilla. As soon as i hook up internet and windows install whatever in the background my pc hangs..
so if the pc is booting with out a gpu and using onboard can you update that way if that works I wonder if maybe something like the pcie slot for your GPU is damaged . have you tried loading a live cd of say Linux with a GPU and running that if it was me I would grab an older hard drive with a different OS on it ( yes I have a few of those laying around) unplug the win 10 drive plug in the older drive boot it up and see what happens with an older os I mean it could all be coincidence that something happened hard ware wise while installing win 10 I would also totally pull everything like extra ram sticks any other drives anything that isnt needed to run win 10 who knows might even be a coincidence that your PSu just is being buggy again I am only grasping at straws that s is the procedure of what I do if I cant figure something out within an hour or two I start pulling things that are not needed then lastly if all else fails and it is happening while using a different OS on a different drive switching out the PSU

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Assuming OP has told us everything, Its not the slot or hardware related at all imo. They say the GPU & computer works totally fine under load, prior to connecting to the internet.

I'm still thinking this is a dual-gpu thing somehow. @Finch can you disable the iGPU in bios and try again?

Shadowmeph

Assuming OP has told us everything, Its not the slot or hardware related at all imo. They say the GPU & computer works totally fine under load, prior to connecting to the internet.

I'm still thinking this is a dual-gpu thing somehow. @Finch can you disable the iGPU in bios and try again?
i have an older laptop that has the duel gpu thing that had issues and I had to turn off the one so that it would stop . hopfully it is something simple like that I do find tit curious that it never happened until the install of win 10 and it updating. I wonder if disconcerting the internet if it would still run normal with a gpu

sswilson

Staff member
Is it just this one GPU that does this, or did the other GPUs you tried also give you the black screen of death once updates start happening?

This sound suspiciously similar to what was happening with unsupported amd cards (4xxx and back?) when windows 10 was first released. It also sounds suspiciously similar to what was happening with the graphics on first gen "i" series processors.

If it's happening with any gpu you throw at it... have you tried disabling onboard graphics completely?

the problem is still there

i switched the primary display to pci-e instead of auto in the bios. Can't find an option to disable it. Installed the rx 570 and windows is all updated and it crashes on loading
You can try disabling iGPU in device manager with both cards connected prior to connecting to the network, but that will require some gymnastics to recover in safe mode if it doesn't come back working off of the dedicated.

Finch

you are correct, when windows is vanilla the dgpu runs fine, no conflicts and i can bench (memtest, occt, prime95, 3dmark, heaven). when windows is vanilla and i connect wifi it will hang after about 10 seconds (when using dgpu).

i have an older laptop that has the duel gpu thing that had issues and I had to turn off the one so that it would stop . hopfully it is something simple like that I do find tit curious that it never happened until the install of win 10 and it updating. I wonder if disconcerting the internet if it would still run normal with a gpu
if using dgpu and unplugging wifi adaptor it will still not boot (because windows has been updated). it will boot with igpu

You can try disabling iGPU in device manager with both cards connected prior to connecting to the network, but that will require some gymnastics to recover in safe mode if it doesn't come back working off of the dedicated.
if it is realy a conflict with igpu and dgpu

look on MB for the Revx.xx written and check for bios update that matches your MB Rev number

reason is windows using default video driver while installing and then loads your GPU driver the issues appears !
it is already lastest bios version

so if the pc is booting with out a gpu and using onboard can you update that way if that works I wonder if maybe something like the pcie slot for your GPU is damaged . have you tried loading a live cd of say Linux with a GPU and running that if it was me I would grab an older hard drive with a different OS on it ( yes I have a few of those laying around) unplug the win 10 drive plug in the older drive boot it up and see what happens with an older os I mean it could all be coincidence that something happened hard ware wise while installing win 10 I would also totally pull everything like extra ram sticks any other drives anything that isnt needed to run win 10 who knows might even be a coincidence that your PSu just is being buggy again I am only grasping at straws that s is the procedure of what I do if I cant figure something out within an hour or two I start pulling things that are not needed then lastly if all else fails and it is happening while using a different OS on a different drive switching out the PSU
if i use linux it will not fix the windows problem. System is 100% stable when vanilla

sswilson

Staff member
if it is realy a conflict with igpu and dgpu
Unfortunately, that's all I've got left, but I'm basing it on previous funky iGPU behaviours I've witnessed being very similar to what you've described.

When windows 10 was released (and to the best of my knowledge, still not resolved) there was an issue with the iGPU on first gen "i" series procs (the three numbered ones) where it would initially install fine, but during the first round of "updates" it would misidentify the iGPU and force the install of an incompatible driver in spite of the fact that it had originally installed a functioning driver during the install. This caused an irrecoverable black screen (of death).

Finch

Unfortunately, that's all I've got left, but I'm basing it on previous funky iGPU behaviours I've witnessed being very similar to what you've described.

When windows 10 was released (and to the best of my knowledge, still not resolved) there was an issue with the iGPU on first gen "i" series procs (the three numbered ones) where it would initially install fine, but during the first round of "updates" it would misidentify the iGPU and force the install of an incompatible driver in spite of the fact that it had originally installed a functioning driver during the install. This caused an irrecoverable black screen (of death).
i understand, but windows 10 has been working fine until maybe 2019. i may try what you suggest it is still a possibility i just have to format again for the fifth time maybe more.

i have checked the event viewer in detail and nothing i see is related. only errors i seen are liscencing errors (thats because i did not install key yet) and unable to establish internet connection (that's because it freezes before it can). I also tried disabling wifi in device manager and unplugging adaptor and hook an ethernet cable but to no avail

sswilson

Staff member
I don't suppose you've got easy access to a team green card do you? If you do, and the behaviour doesn't exhibit itself with an NVidia card installed then it's pointing towards something in the AMD drivers (or as Sagath alluded to... something funky going on with windows trying some fancy dual GPU configs like you'd see on a laptop).