What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows 10 problem

Finch

Hi,

to make it short after installing windows 10 all is fine but as soon as i hook it up to the internet and windows does it's thing of downloading and installing optional features my pc black screens and hangs then i have to force reset. After that windows freezes on loading screen. I need to use a restore point

i tried many older windows 10 versions. I tried disabling auto windows updates

as soon as i put the wifi password it starts downloading those optional features and it hangs. I cannot pin point which optional features causes the problem because it black screens within 10 seconds.

I also installed all drivers up to date offline to make sure it is not a auto windows driver update thing but still does it as soon as i connect the internet. If i don't connect the internet the pc runs fine as long as it is vanilla. Something in the optional features is causing the issue.

specs are

asus maximus V gene

32gb ram

240gb ssd

rx 570 (just installed this one cause i though the older gpu was the issue)

please help thanks

Last edited:

Shadowmeph

I havent had any issues on any of my PCs or laptops with WIn 10 could be because I dont install optional features because I dont use most option features mind you when ever Ifirst install win ten it takes forever to update . if your system is over clocked maybe lose the over clock and try
I wonder if it is a hardware compatibility issue like ram being silly with windows 10 . I am only guessing here

Finch

I havent had any issues on any of my PCs or laptops with WIn 10 could be because I dont install optional features because I dont use most option features mind you when ever Ifirst install win ten it takes forever to update . if your system is over clocked maybe lose the over clock and try
I wonder if it is a hardware compatibility issue like ram being silly with windows 10 . I am only guessing here

after fiddling , i removed the gpu and use the onboard graphics and all seems fine, problem solved. So by removing gpu the problem is no longer there. The thing is the 2 different gpu (with lastest drivers installed) i tested run's fine and bench fine when windows is vanilla. As soon as i hook up internet and windows install whatever in the background my pc hangs..

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Or alternatively, can you download the drivers for the AMD card somewhere else, and manually install them offline?

Finch

sorry guys maybe i was not clear enough in my first post.

windows is vanilla (fresh format) and all is fine. I can use it no problem and no crash. But as soon as i enter wifi password for the first time it starts downloading something and crashes within 10 seconds and windows is no longer capable of booting i need to use a restore point (that i created when it was vanilla)

I tried disabling windows auto updates
i also tried 2 different gpu, a gtx560 and a rx 570 and i also installed their drivers offline. they both work great and the bench great.
between each step i restore the pc and retest

Now i figured out that if i use the onboard graphics and put the wifi password everything is fine, no crash and windows is downloading all the updates and features.

but if i install gpu and then connect to the internet (from a vanilla windows with gpu drivers installed and auto update disabled) it starts downloading some optional features (or something) and it crashes and i think it is conflicting with any gpu i put in there.

as a side note, this pc has been fine on windows 10 for many years until the october update and started to do some random crash after the auto update. each time i needed to force restart and got a message that it found a problem after an update install and it reverted back. i am trying to figure this out since but it got worse because even if i install a old windows version it will do it (when i connect the internet) and i tried a different gpu just in case it was that.

hope it is clear

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Is it just this one GPU that does this, or did the other GPUs you tried also give you the black screen of death once updates start happening?

This sound suspiciously similar to what was happening with unsupported amd cards (4xxx and back?) when windows 10 was first released. It also sounds suspiciously similar to what was happening with the graphics on first gen "i" series processors.

If it's happening with any gpu you throw at it... have you tried disabling onboard graphics completely?

Finch

Is it just this one GPU that does this, or did the other GPUs you tried also give you the black screen of death once updates start happening?

This sound suspiciously similar to what was happening with unsupported amd cards (4xxx and back?) when windows 10 was first released. It also sounds suspiciously similar to what was happening with the graphics on first gen "i" series processors.

If it's happening with any gpu you throw at it... have you tried disabling onboard graphics completely?

it does this with both gigabyte gtx560 (a card i owned for many years and works great) and it does it with an asus rx 570 that is testing fine too

only onboard is not making my pc crash when windows is updating.

But yeah you are right now that everything is updated i will make a restore point and then reinstall gpu with disabled onboard graphics (i did not try that)

i will come back later

Latest posts