What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows 10 touch screen users?

sswilson

Staff member
So here's the deal.....

I bought a dell 2-n-1 mostly to play with the touch screen, but now that I've had it several years I've realized that I seldom use the touch screen if ever at all.

Maybe it's just me being stuck in my old fashioned ways, but I've never found windows worked intuitively for touch and that I always ended up going back to the KB/M to get anything done. I'm not sure if it's me, a platform thing, or a lack of quality touch screen apps being available for WinX/8.1. I don't have similar issues using android devices and find their controls to generally be intuitive.

What's been your experience? Is it just me, or is W10 really not ready for touch?

Does anybody use a dedicated W10 touchscreen/tablet device where input is strictly via touchscreen?

Supergrover

So here's the deal.....

I bought a dell 2-n-1 mostly to play with the touch screen, but now that I've had it several years I've realized that I seldom use the touch screen if ever at all.

Maybe it's just me being stuck in my old fashioned ways, but I've never found windows worked intuitively for touch and that I always ended up going back to the KB/M to get anything done. I'm not sure if it's me, a platform thing, or a lack of quality touch screen apps being available for WinX/8.1. I don't have similar issues using android devices and find their controls to generally be intuitive.

What's been your experience? Is it just me, or is W10 really not ready for touch?

Does anybody use a dedicated W10 touchscreen/tablet device where input is strictly via touchscreen?
I have a 2in1 also but find I never use the KB/touchpad, for me I just use it as a dock, so yes I use it as a straight tablet/touchscreen.
Mind you this is my couch/pool tabl;et so I dont do much besides surfing/movies/tunes. So no I dont use it for any actual "computer" work per say.
I find it easy enough to use, and/or control though, I do have Start 10 on it so the startmenu is more 7ish than win10.
The biggest thing I have a issue with is forgetting where the back button is in Win10 ( yes I know it is right on the taskbar) but I always default and look for a hardware backbutton like droid.

lowfat

Staff member
Have a Surface 3 Pro w/ a Surface 4 Pro keyboard/trackpad. I never ever use the touch screen. Browsing is just too hard.

JD

Staff member
I can only really do it for browsing, since that's usually just scrolling anyhow. Edge is a bit more friendly than Chrome for that. Typing on such a large screen is just out of the question.

I think the main issue is the lack of an ecosystem. Maybe the Windows Store has good stuff on it, but apps are not as easy to find as the Play/App Store.

It boils down to Windows being designed around the KB/mouse since day 1. It's hard to adapt all the "legacy" code and functionality into the touch-screen world. It's come quite a ways since the XP "Tablet Edition" but it's still got a ways to go.

sswilson

Staff member
I should try edge on tablet mode some day. I find it jarring when I can't use typical android swipe for things like back.

sswilson

Staff member
I should try edge on tablet mode some day. I find it jarring when I can't use typical android swipe for things like back.
So.... I gave edge a try on my touch screen and have to say it's a reasonably good experience. WTH doesn't chrome work that way on touch? You'd think they'd have it down pat coming from android.

gingerbee

The tablet I rock is win 10 thing works great in tablet mode, normal things are harder to do buttons size being the main problem there besides that i have none works great for basic stuff

JD

Staff member
Both Chrome and Edge support swipe to go forwards/back...

But still, the main benefit I find with Edge, when you tap input boxes, the keyboard actually comes up. Chrome seems to lack any integration for that.

Latest posts

Twitter