What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows 10 UEFI bootable USB

D

Dark Knight

Has anyone encountered any issues with trying to boot from BIOS with the Windows 10 bootable USB in UEFI mode? If I choose to boot it as a normal USB it boots fine without an issue. If I choose to boot it as a UEFI USB flash drive it complains and gives the Windows 10 error screen. I used the Windows 10 media creation tool to install it on the USB flash drive. I've been reading some websites and they recommend to use Rufus and create a UEFI partition. If I make the USB MBR partition GPT and use the Media Creation tool will it solve the issue with booting via UEFI for Windows 10?

I wonder if it has anything to do with the USB possibly being formatted as NTFS as well? It's not a major issue but I'd prefer not having to use MBR2GPT within Windows 10 to convert it. I'd rather have it installed as EFI right away.

Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member
You definitely want to use Rufus. Select the Windows ISO. Then change the partition scheme to MBR for UEFI.

D

Dark Knight

You definitely want to use Rufus. Select the Windows ISO. Then change the partition scheme to MBR for UEFI.
I'll give Rufus a try. I've used it in the past for Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 just never thought I would need to for Windows 10. I'm not sure why the media creation tool doesn't create it as a GPT UEFI partition. I'll have to get the ISO from the Media Creation tool and then create it as a bootable USB through Rufus. Any reason why not to choose GPT for UEFI though?

lowfat

Staff member
I'll give Rufus a try. I've used it in the past for Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 just never thought I would need to for Windows 10. I'm not sure why the media creation tool doesn't create it as a GPT UEFI partition. I'll have to get the ISO from the Media Creation tool and then create it as a bootable USB through Rufus. Any reason why not to choose GPT for UEFI though?
This is the paritioning scheme on the USB flash drive not the actual Windows install. I'm not sure if a GPT partitioning scheme on a flash drive even boots.

JD

Staff member
The only requirement is for it to be formatted as FAT32. NTFS does not work for UEFI USB booting.

From command prompt, all I do is:
diskpart
select disk x (use list disk to find your USB drive number)
clean
create partition primary
format fs=fat32 quick
active
assign
exit

Then extract the ISO/copy the files to the USB.