What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows 10 Upgrade; Did Not Work!

misterlarry

Tried to do a download Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 7 Pro. Did not work out very well. System will not boot. Bios recognizes my HDs but the Windows boot sequence does not. Am using Boot Repair Disk (Linux) right now to back up files.

Is it worth trying a clean reinstall of Windows 7 from DVD or wait for Windows 10 DVD which should show up tomorrow?

Thanks. This sucks but have only myself to blame.

:angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

sswilson

Staff member
If you have access to another PC you can always use the windows 10 media creation tool to create an install USB and then just use the windows 7pro key to activate it. (Would still be a fresh install though if you're got files you need to save).

danmitch1

Free upgrade? I thought that promo was expired 3 years ago. I would also use the windows creation tool and do a fresh install.

Shadowmeph

I also think that the free upgrade promo is done but I would also think that shouldn't effect the actual upgrade install windows 10 should boot up and maybe pop up a nag to tell you your license needs to be installed but like SSwilson posted above you could try that. if it is just the boot sequence then some Linux actually ( or used to ) have boot loader type things ( sorry still having my morning coffee) which should ask yu if you want to creat a boot loader and it should see the windows boot loaders on then .but it can be a hassle.

sswilson

Staff member
Windows 10 still accepts win7/8 keys to authenticate. The "free upgrade" time has expired but they've left this back door in so it's obviously a bit of 'Nudge, nudge, wink, wink" going on. :)

sswilson

Staff member
It only accepts it in place of a win 10 auth key during a fresh install. Just make sure it's the same version as the install you're doing (i.e. pro vrs home).

JD

Staff member
Looks like I might have to convert the partition MBR instead of GPT. How can I check to see if I'm booted in UEFI mode or Legacy?

Thanks.
A dumb way that (usually) works, does the Windows setup look to be running in your monitor's proper resolution? If it's clear and sharp, its UEFI, if its fuzzy/blurry, its Legacy/BIOS.

To install in UEFI, your USB needs to be FAT32 formatted and when you pick it as the boot device, make sure you chose the UEFI option if you have the choice.

Latest posts