What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows 10 USB 3.1 isn't being detected on new build

whitelight

So my new tower starts up, my monitor wasn't displaying but my t.v. does. I went into the BIOS and things seemed in order. I went to configure the boot priority with my Windows 10 USB 3.1 stick in the 3.1 tower USB port and it isnt' detected. The SSD and DVD are being detected along with some 'shell' program which I don't recognize. I tried turning my computer off and reslotting the USB stick into another 3.1 port on the tower and still nothing. I tried the 3.1 slots in the back of the tower (the ones that connect DIRECTLY into the MOBO) and still nothing. On a whim I plugged the USB stick for a wireless keyboard into the front tower USB 2.0 slot and that picked up immediately. I'm at a loss as to what it could be, might the Windows 10 USB stick be faulty? Is that something known to happen?

[PCPartPicker part list](Intel Core i5-6600K, MSI Radeon R9 390, Corsair 750D - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada) / [Price breakdown by merchant](Intel Core i5-6600K, MSI Radeon R9 390, Corsair 750D - System Build - Price Breakdown By Merchant - PCPartPicker Canada)

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor](Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (BX80662I56600K) - PCPartPicker Canada) | Purchased For $0.00
**CPU Cooler** | [be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler](be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (BK019) - PCPartPicker Canada) | Purchased For $0.00
**Motherboard** | [MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard](MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Z170A GAMING M5) - PCPartPicker Canada) | Purchased For $0.00
**Memory** | [Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory](Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (HX421C14FBK2/16) - PCPartPicker Canada) | Purchased For $0.00
**Storage** | [Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (MZ-75E500B/AM) - PCPartPicker Canada) | Purchased For $0.00
**Video Card** | [MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card](MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card (R9 390 GAMING 8G) - PCPartPicker Canada) | Purchased For $0.00
**Case** | [Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case](Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case (750D) - PCPartPicker Canada) | Purchased For $0.00
**Power Supply** | [EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply](EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (120-G1-1000-VR) - PCPartPicker Canada) | Purchased For $0.00
**Optical Drive** | [Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer](Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer (DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS) - PCPartPicker Canada) | Purchased For $0.00
| *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |
| **Total** | **$0.00**
| Generated by [PCPartPicker](Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker) 2016-01-17 10:17 EST-0500 |

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
You'll need to list your hardware if you want any kind of informed suggestions.

I haven't played with it myself, but apparently the newest platform doesn't play nice with USB windows installs. Are there any 2.0 ports on the back of the motherboard you can try?

whitelight

You'll need to list your hardware if you want any kind of informed suggestions.

I haven't played with it myself, but apparently the newest platform doesn't play nice with USB windows installs. Are there any 2.0 ports on the back of the motherboard you can try?
Okay the part list is up. I've tried ALL the USB ports. Ones on tower and the ones on the back into the MOBO. Do I have to set something up in BIOS maybe? I went into storage in the bios and it detects the SSD and the DVD drive but all the USB ports are unavailable. I don't understand what it is I'm supposed to do. I'm going to try putting in the MOBO driver CD and see if there is an update for the MOBO where it can read the USB ports. The strange thing is, it read the wireless keyboard through the USB port just fine... can't understand why it won't read the Win 10 one.

KaptCrunch

your win10 usb3 file is digital locked to ONLY read to stop pirates if that your question can't copy it

Last edited:

whitelight

have you tried MSI drivers or go in Device Manager and do manual
How do I do that without an OS already installed? I just thought of something however... I have my old build which I'm on right now to browse forums and what if I took my new SSD card from my new build and slotted it into my old build and tried installing win 10 onto that...then after it's said and done I take that SSD card and put it back into my new build. This feels like it could work but I don't want to create extra issues for myself if it can be avoided.

Last edited:

KaptCrunch

get all your needed drivers for your hardware on usb stik when windows installer ask for them send to that usb stick

other question this on a fresh HHD/SSD or old windows also is the MS software for upgrade or win10 complete install

KaptCrunch

are we on the same page that your motherboard is MSI Z170A GAMING M5 and your installing win10 on new drive or old

now I've read your issue place win10 in usb2 slot and have bios to boot usb2 devices

then while booting up tap
F8 or F5 to get you in to installer

Last edited:

whitelight

are we on the same page that your motherboard is MSI Z170A GAMING M5 and your installing win10 on new drive or old

now I've read your issue place win10 in usb2 slot and have bios to boot usb2 devices

then while booting up tap
F8 or F5 to get you in to installer

Yeah it's F11 to get into the installer and the installer has the options

Samsung Evo 500GB
Asus Driver (DVD reader)
some 'Shell' program which looks like old school DOS

and that's it. The option to read the USB doesn't even register. I go into the BIOS to look around and the USB ports read as inactive. I've tried the 3.1 AND 2.0 USB ports in the front tower and in the MOBO. The wireless keyboard reads in all the USB ports so I know they work. But when I put in the Win 10 USB stick it doesn't register as being there. I went to a store and plugged it in and it came up so I'm pretty sure it isn't the Win 10 USB stick. I'm absolutely stumped.

All of this so far has been on my new build. My old build is still functional. But everything I've tried to do has been with all new parts.

KaptCrunch

so your bios isn't seeing the SSD ? check your Motherboard box for what version of bios installed or in bios look at system info, BIOS Ver:

1.6 is the current with fixes - Updated VBIOS and GOP Driver.
- Improved memory compatibility.
- Support M.2 Genie.
- Improved PCI-E compatibility.

if need to update use Mflash by having a usb formatted FAT16/32 and the current bios file on main root

Attachments

Last edited:

whitelight

so your bios isn't seeing the SSD ? check your Motherboard box for what version of bios installed or in bios look at system info, BIOS Ver:

1.6 is the current with fixes - Updated VBIOS and GOP Driver.
- Improved memory compatibility.
- Support M.2 Genie.
- Improved PCI-E compatibility.

if need to update use Mflash by having a usb formatted FAT16/32 and the current bios file on main root
No, it's seeing the SSD just fine, same with the DVD reader. It just isnt' seeing the USB ports or listing it as an option. I think I may juts have to take my tower into a shop and get them to look at it. It hurts my pride but I can't update anything until I have an OS on the new build and it won't read the USB stick. IF windows 10 was on a DVD i'd be fine. I wish Microsoft had more competition instead of putting out sub par OS

Latest posts

Twitter