What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows 11 impressions?

FreeKnight

I've got my PC ready for W11, but think I'll wait a few months until the guinea pigs have helped iron out all the issues.

Thanks for your sacrifices gents. I'm pressing F to pay respects to your system stability ;)

JD

Staff member
I'm pressing F to pay respects to your system stability
No stability issues to report here. I didn't even notice any of the performance issues either, though I updated the AMD chipset drivers & installed the preview patch anyhow.

IMO it's just a reskinned Windows 10.

crazyea

The more I use it, the more I hate the new icons and laggy interface. This is the first time in over 20 years that I honestly feel like running the previous version of windows instead.

Solace

remember every second release is the one worth upgrading to for windows, skip vista, skip 8, skip 11 etc...

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
So, personal thoughts after a couple weeks on the work computer with Win11;

From a use perspective, Its just a reskin. I notice no other detriments/benefits outside of that and what a reskin entails (relearning where things are, how the UI is managed and works, etc).

Will I upgrade my other PC's at this time to W11 since its 'just a reskin'?
No. Unless I find out somewhere there are security benefits or performance gains I'm leaving on the table, I'll stick with W10.

Should YOU upgrade to W11?
Sure, if you want. I see no reason to NOT upgrade. I also see no reason TO upgrade*.
*other than the current apparent problems with the Task Scheduler causing performance degradation in certain situations.

Izerous

Folding Team
Should YOU upgrade to W11?
Sure, if you want. I see no reason to NOT upgrade. I also see no reason TO upgrade*.
*other than the current apparent problems with the Task Scheduler causing performance degradation in certain situations.
A couple of the recent intel reviews... in one of them W11 reduced the frame rate of pretty much every game they tried as they did do W10 vs W11 benchmarks while doing it. Ignoring the past AMD issues that is enough reason to NOT upgrade for a while yet until they get more time to optimize.

crazyea

I ran windows 11 for a month. I don't really care for it at all. I did a fresh win 10 install today. GN said that roughly 1.2 percent of people are running windows 11. I really hope they can improve it. The right click menu system alone was enough for me to absolutely hate it.

Cypher^64

I'm kind of glad I got too lazy this weekend to install the new drive and get WIndows 11 on it. Think I'll just clone the old drive to the new one and wait for a bit.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
until i see how they handle RTX IO / Direct Storage i don't see a reason to switch if its still coming to win 10 ill wait for reviews to see if there is really a difference.