What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows 11 impressions?

lowfat

Staff member
Will be installing tomorrow. I need to reformat anyways so I might as well.

I'm hoping the DisplayFusion beta works semi decently.

sswilson

Staff member
Will be installing tomorrow. I need to reformat anyways so I might as well.

I'm hoping the DisplayFusion beta works semi decently.

Ahhhh.... please let us know how that goes. I stopped using it on W10 after finding that it was the culprit in issues I was having with open full screen windows losing focus (major issue with my pinball setup)

lowfat

Staff member
Ahhhh.... please let us know how that goes. I stopped using it on W10 after finding that it was the culprit in issues I was having with open full screen windows losing focus (major issue with my pinball setup)
I pretty much need it TBH. I game on my secondary display, so I need to be able to disable primary quickly. I use hot keys to set various display profiles. And also hot keys to move windows to different displays.

sswilson

Staff member
I pretty much need it TBH. I game on my secondary display, so I need to be able to disable primary quickly. I use hot keys to set various display profiles. And also hot keys to move windows to different displays.

Oh it was really convenient for me as well. The "losing focus" thing was something that had been reported in the past (and supposedly fixed) but it still seemed to be happening on my system, and the issue went away when I stopped using DF.

Cannon Fodder

Yeah, but I don't see any reason to jump through hoops to get 11 on that PC. 10 is going to have at least 4 years support and I suspect it'll be longer for that WRT security updates.

Oh for sure..... I was just throwing that out there for your(and others) perusal, IN CASE you might like to give it a shot. As for "jumping through hoops", while it might not be as simple as a nice clean install, it did seem like the hoops you'd need to jump through were fairly easy to navigate.

sswilson

Staff member
Install version was 22000.194 which appears to still be the final insider preview.

Nothing obviously annoying off the bat. Settings panel is gone from the far R/H, and the "start" + pinned apps has been moved to center align the taskbar, but that's easy enough to align left.

edit: Only glitch so far was having to uninstall the radeon software and then re-installing it using the "factory reset" option and the latest optional driver. (windows installed a driver during windows update and I ended up with a mismatch between the GFX driver and the Radeon software).

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Hrmmmm........ update keeps offering an older AMD GFX driver that is incompatible with current Radeon software. I've paused updates for a week, but so far I'm not seeing anything that would allow me to block the update as faulty. (I believe it's waiting for me to "install" but I'd hate to be stuck with a potential system breaker sitting in my update options without a way to hide it).

JD

Staff member
Funny thing is, the ISO I grabbed from Visual Studio, formerly MSDN, the image indexes still all say Windows 10...

Same build number as you, 10.0.22000.194, which you'd also think they would have bumped to 11.0.xxxxx.xxx

Latest posts

Twitter