What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows 11 impressions?

sswilson

Staff member
Any of you folks running W11? If so, what are your impressions, and what (if any) features do you think might drive us skeptics to consider adopting it when it goes live?

I haven't delved too deeply, but the impression that I'm getting is that the biggest reason would be improved security based on the new hardware requirements. (I've got a 4XXXU system that in all likelihood will not be compatible).

Thoughts?

Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member

sswilson

Staff member
Personally, one of the things that jumps out at me is the loss of synced wallpapers. Not a huge deal as I can still just point the slideshow to the files in my onedrive folder, but mildly annoying. I'm also not a fan of having the menu moved to the center, but from the sounds of it that can be moved back over to the left.

sswilson

Staff member

TBH the only reason I want to upgrade is because I'm sick of my windows getting resized and juggled around any time i turn on my secondary display.

All of my secondary display setups are permanent so this wouldn't really affect me. Now..... if the new multi-monitor setup was going to resolve the multi-monitor "bleed" issue (full screen on one monitor overlapping onto the other screen) I'd seriously consider it.

Other than that.... I'm not really seeing anything that makes me want to "upgrade" other than the threats of W10 only being supported until 2025.

I'm hoping they're going to offer some kind of option to hide the upgrade going forward. I've already got issues with some of my PCs not going to sleep overnight when there's an "optional" (read beta) system update that often ends up cranking my laptop's fan to 100% and blackscreening with no recovery other than a hard reboot.

lowfat

Staff member

TBH the only reason I want to upgrade is because I'm sick of my windows getting resized and juggled around any time i turn on my secondary display.
Mine are permanent too. But both displays show as disconnected when sleeping/off. Been fighting with it for years.

On2wheels

I've run two different size screens on Win10 for a long while, nothing odd has happened with them, one is 1440p and one 1080p. I have them both on at bootup, maybe that's why? I see by your sig that you're using nvidia too?

lowfat

Staff member
I've run two different size screens on Win10 for a long while, nothing odd has happened with them, one is 1440p and one 1080p. I have them both on at bootup, maybe that's why? I see by your sig that you're using nvidia too.

Doesn't happen with all DP displays. But happens with my current.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
the Direct Storage API and Auto HDR will be the driving force that makes me switch as itll have apparently a better/faster implementation of the Direct Storage API /RTX IO.

gota squeeze every ounce of performance outa this setup some how and by the looks of things the under hood changes that are only coming to win11 are what will make me have to switch. soon as the transparent taskbar is ported im switching over.

oh and sswilson look up wallpaper engine on steam has some pretty neat features.

sswilson

Staff member
Taking a fit and using the assistant tool to install it on my laptop tonight.... :)

(It's listed under the insider preview, but I'm pretty sure this is the release version.....)