What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows 365 Cloud PC Announced

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan

this is very very cool. annoyed it's only business focused, but as reporting sites have commented, you can use it and pretend to be a single employee company, etc. but so many cool possibilities on how it can be used...managing employee PC's, controlling security, etc. and the fact it's platform agnostic, all you need is the internet and a browser, lets users do whatever they want on their own PC while running the sterile company computer to accomplish their work.

I read a tidbit about info leaking that one plan will be $35 / m, but no info on what level of performance that would provide you with. I also read an excerpt about what some HW offerings would be, but the terminology used was bad...1 CPU PC's, 2GB RAM or 8 CPU PC's, 16GB RAM. CPU is probably supposed to be 'core', but who wants to run any version of Windows on a single core with just 2GB of RAM? :oops:

anabioz

I think this is awesome. If the price associated with this is reasonable - I see many benefits for remote learning and work.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I see this as an expensive remote desktop...
how so? you're not connecting to any HW you already own, so there's just the client you log in from and the Cloud PC and the client doesn't have to be anything special...a cheap Chromebook or Top is sufficient, or heck...a phone or tablet connected to an external display and a wireless keyboard / mouse, LoL!

JD

Staff member
I'm pretty sure this exists today with Windows 10, but they're pushing a re-brand with Windows 11, or I guess Windows 365. I'm not sure if it would be sold to consumers though, it's only for business customers currently.

And while the "specs" might not seem good, it's shared compute on a huge cluster, so performance is likely sufficient.

Izerous

Folding Team
how so? you're not connecting to any HW you already own, so there's just the client you log in from and the Cloud PC and the client doesn't have to be anything special...a cheap Chromebook or Top is sufficient, or heck...a phone or tablet connected to an external display and a wireless keyboard / mouse, LoL!
AWS remote desktop could be done for less than the subscription cost depending on performance needs. Spin up a bunch of EC2 instances and your done.