What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows 7 SSD recognition?

sswilson

Staff member
It's been a while since I ran win 7.....

I just cloned a mech drive over to a SSD, and I've disabled defrag as well as using the command prompt to verify if trim is turned on (if that even works.... ) but I don't remember if windows 7 natively recognizes SSDs.

Properties is still showing the drive as a "standard disk drive". Is there something else I should be doing? (I ran the winsat disk command already and it didn't change the description of the type of media).

ZZLEE

AICHI use aichi format in Bios and trim check to see if trim is working.

"Trim Check"

Vittra

Yes, Windows 7 has native support for sata drives - so long as it can detect that your drive is an SSD to begin with, it will pass the TRIM command. That also means it will not try to defrag it.

If you want to verify if TRIM is currently active, go to to a CMD prompt and type in this:

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
0 = active
1 = inactive

Note - if you cloned a mech drive to SSD, your partition alignment is off. This will result in reduced performance, though depending on the usage scenario, you may not care. There are ways to correct this, but I would just suggest reformatting if it actually is a legitimate concern for you.

sswilson

Staff member
Heh.... this is a non factory factory install (refurb) so I'm inclined to not do a fresh install if I don't have to since I'd have to dig up all the correct drivers etc.......

The install was done in Raid mode as opposed to AHCI and won't boot with AHCI mode enabled so maybe I'm going to have to do a fresh install anyways... :(

I did do the "disabledeletenotify" query and it returned a "0" but I'm not sure if that's a confirmation that trim is working, or if it just means that the OS is trim capable.

I'm leaning heavily towards just biting the bullet, downloading the correct drivers, and doing a fresh install but that's always a PITA with laptops because they never seem to have a complete set of drivers so you end up trying to track down those "unknown device" reports in DM......

ipaine

You can get it to boot you just have to do a couple steps before changing it to AHCI.

[FONT=&quot]1) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Exit all Windows-based programs.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Press [Win] + R or take the RUN option from the start menu.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Now type regedit there and press Enter Key to open up the Registry Editor Window.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Locate and then click the following registry subkeys:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]a) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\pciide[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]b) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]c) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]d) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]e) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]In the Value data box, type 0 [3 is default], and then click OK.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Restart your computer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Go to UEFI/BIOS and enable AHCI, Save & Reboot[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Note: You might not have the last registry key (iastor) as this is installed in the registry with the intel raid drivers, the default windows 7 raid driver uses the iastorV key.[/FONT]

That should allow you to boot back into it after changing it to AHCI.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
You can get it to boot you just have to do a couple steps before changing it to AHCI.

[FONT=&quot]1) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Exit all Windows-based programs.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Press [Win] + R or take the RUN option from the start menu.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Now type regedit there and press Enter Key to open up the Registry Editor Window.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Locate and then click the following registry subkeys:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]a) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\pciide[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]b) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]c) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]d) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]e) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]In the Value data box, type 0 [3 is default], and then click OK.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Restart your computer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Go to UEFI/BIOS and enable AHCI, Save & Reboot[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Note: You might not have the last registry key (iastor) as this is installed in the registry with the intel raid drivers, the default windows 7 raid driver uses the iastorV key.[/FONT]

That should allow you to boot back into it after changing it to AHCI.
Thanks, I'm already into the sp1 install and currently downloading WSUS.... :)

edit: and somebody forgot to look for the checkbox that overrides the user password on reboot.... :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter